Zk433

AD 1.6.1.93 freezes a lot

Hi,

it's not exactly a bug but ever since installing the latest version of AD, it tends to freeze quite a lot. I'm not even doing anything too intensive, just a simple UI design, but after a while the program freezes up, nothing works for few seconds, and even when it starts working, there is a lag. AD uses a lot of processing on my computer, even with other apps shut down. It didn't used to be like that, it happened occasionally in the past, but with the latest download, it happens all the time.

Hey Zk433,

I've seen a few other users report performance issues since updating to 1.6. Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and make sure the Renderer isn't set to WARP? Chances are you are using your own GPU but I want to make sure you aren't on WARP before we tackle some other things. 

Out of curiosity I investigated this issue which is also being discussed in the following topic:

I use a notebook with Nvidia Optimus in use and tried all available rendering devices which are

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Nvidia NVS 5200M
  • WARP

For me the observed behavior is completely identical for all three redering devices. Maybe this information helps. It is quite a downer that each time I need to change a font the workflow nearly comes to a stop.

Cheers

WARP can make certain things appear to lag and go slower so if hybit says it doesn't seem to matter which renderer is used, we can rule it out. 

Are you making any selections? Could we see one of your documents to see what objects you have in it? If you want to keep it private, let me know.

Hey guys,

I have big troubles too. It is impossible to work with such freezes.

i work with couple of 7D CR2 files ON

Windows 10

I7 4770s

16GB RAM

GTX 750 2gb

2560x1600 and 1920x1200 (rotated) monitors.

SSD

Huuuuge lags when I just try to paint overlay masks for my stack of 3 images. I doubt that images are issue.

Also I see some strange color artefacts.

And it is not WARP.

E7D_9715.CR2

E7D_9716.CR2

E7D_9717.CR2

11 hours ago, Chris B said:

WARP can make certain things appear to lag and go slower so if hybit says it doesn't seem to matter which renderer is used, we can rule it out. 

Are you making any selections? Could we see one of your documents to see what objects you have in it? If you want to keep it private, let me know.

I'll print screen my document when it happens again, I didn't have a chance to do much work in the past couple of days.

11 hours ago, MartynasA said:

Huuuuge lags when I just try to paint overlay masks for my stack of 3 images. I doubt that images are issue.

I'm seeing this too using your images. I'll do some more investigating and get this passed to the dev team. Thanks MartynasA and welcome to the Affinity Forums. 

19 hours ago, Chris B said:

For me these freezes appear in both the text tools when trying to change the font. In particular, opening the font list takes few seconds and freezes the whole program until it's loaded. The load time seems to depend on the size of the current project but for a tiny and empty project the freeze already takes half a dozen seconds. For medium projects the freeze sometimes takes 10 to 15 seconds. Once the list is open, hovering and realtime-preview of the hovered font in the selected text layer works perfectly flawless. Scrolling the list, however, freezes the software too. I observe a great increase in processor occupation by AD while the list ist "loading" the next lines. Something strange is happening there as if the program is always searching for something it is unable to find and which takes a lot of processing power.

Hey hybit,

We're currently looking into the font browser freeze/lag. I've had a handful of users report this to me now and I imagine a few of my colleagues have had reports too. We completely overhauled the font browser for 1.6 so something has clearly gone a bit wrong here.

I'm pretty sure it will be a rogue font or family causing this. If you wanted to, you could try disabling your custom fonts in groups to see if you can isolate which one is causing the issue. I tend to do it in quarters and then alphabetically within each quarter.

We've seen font lags before in the old font browser and we fixed them pretty quickly once we found out which fonts were causing it.

Hi,

I'm suffering from freezes too, especially when working with fonts (287 installed, recently added some but the problem existed before),
but also! when editing fotos (*.jpg out of cam, 24M). undoing changes takes longer and longer (even with a total of not more than 5 or 10), changing the tool, and choosing tools from the pop-out-menu takes several seconds.

I'm not asking for a immediate solution atm, but want to give you a further hint, that there are some users, oder installation specs, that seem to cause problems.

(Core i7-7500U, 16GB ram, Win 10 home 64bit, GForce GTX 960M, SSD
I don't do much more than editing some fotos from time to time, but bought the laptop just this spring and think, it must not lag with such tasks, and it dosn't lag with other tools.)

On 1.12.2017 at 9:02 AM, Chris B said:

Hey hybit,

We're currently looking into the font browser freeze/lag. I've had a handful of users report this to me now and I imagine a few of my colleagues have had reports too. We completely overhauled the font browser for 1.6 so something has clearly gone a bit wrong here.

I'm pretty sure it will be a rogue font or family causing this. If you wanted to, you could try disabling your custom fonts in groups to see if you can isolate which one is causing the issue. I tend to do it in quarters and then alphabetically within each quarter.

We've seen font lags before in the old font browser and we fixed them pretty quickly once we found out which fonts were causing it.

I tried removing all fonts but native Windows fonts and double-checked the registry for dead links to missing font files. So if it is a rogue font, it's a native Windows one.

It sounds like it might not be font related, then—especially if you've removed all the non-native Windows fonts... 

For those of you that are really struggling and you do not necessarily need any of the fixes implemented in 1.6, you can try installing a slightly older build if you wish. Please have a look at this link if you wish to try and older version:

https://affinity.store/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/

I went back to the most recent 1.5 version already but there the history function shows the same behavior as the font menu does in 1.6: very bad updating performance. Alread opening the history tab in the right hand menu takes few seconds and scrolling the history has the same slow update rate like scrolling the font list. Ctrl+Z did perform well, though.

It was a true relief when I recognized the history function would work flawlessly and I could use that great "timeshift"-style slider bar and timelapse through all my work steps. So I choose this feature over a flawless font menu. I am confident you will figure this out soon, especially as I already read some posts from "fellow sufferers".

ChrisB, thanks for the link to the older versions, I downloaded some versions of Photo and will give them a try. I'm also planning to test Photo inside a clean user environment
(without all my other user-profile-stuff, it's the next thing to a clean install that I can put into practice without too much effort)

I'll let you know what came out...

[edit]

I didn't had the time for all the tests with the older versions and a clean user-profile, but it seems I found out, when at least my Photo lags (just updeated to 1.6.2.97):

I needed to correct some little flaws in a picture and had the navigator active instead of the undo-protocol which I had active all the other times - and there was not even the smallest lag. undo via shortcut worked also quite fast, only the very moment when I activated the protcol again, the lags were back.

I yet have to check whether the font-window is slow for itself or just together with the undo-protocol, but for the moment, Photo works much better for me.

the undo-slider is a very nice feature and I would be really happy, if a solution can be found for the lagging problem, but at least I found a 'workaround' or just a better setting for my interface and can really start using Photo (yes, I just found out about Photo and am a fairly new user).

[/edit]

Edited by sistra