You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, this may seem like a very simple task to do but I'm having trouble acheiving it or finding similar issues that someone has had, it must just be me but I wanted to add several shapes to form a pattern then add a Bevel/Emboss to make it seem a bit more Life-like. after doing this I noticed the shapes overlay each other making it not seamless as I hoped. If anyone has a answer for this I'd really Appreciate it.

Thanks

Screenshot_1.png

I don't know if this is what you want to achieve. Tell me if it's something else:

Add.png

Best regards!

Sure, let's open your file again:

• Select  both Objects on the Layers Panel

Hot_To_Add_01.png

• Then, go to Menu Layer > Geometry > Add (or clic on the respective icon on the Toolbar):

Hot_To_Add_02.png

• That will create the new shape / curve above all your current objects

Hot_To_Add_03.png

• Just drag the new shape / curve bellow the yellow circle

Hot_To_Add_04.png

Best regards!

• Staff

Hi MrSkills,

To skew an object just drag the object's bounding box center handles (you must approach them coming from outside the shape until the cursor changes to two opposite arrows) - then click and drag. Currently there's no perspective distortion tool in Designer. You have to edit the nodes of the shape directly to distort it manually.

I thought the “Mesh warp/distort tool” would include perspective capabilities, uhm. 

Best regards!

3 hours ago, MEB said:

To skew an object just drag the object's bounding box center handles (you must approach them coming from outside the shape until the cursor changes to two opposite arrows) - then click and drag.

There's also a Skew/Shear control in the Transform panel, but values set there will only apply horizontal skew. For vertical skew you need to subtract the same amount from the Rotation value (which you can achieve by typing -=s into the R box).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 11/28/2017 at 6:30 PM, MrSkills said:

I don't have a Transform tab. I should be in the top right?

but I can't find it.

By default it's in the bottom right-hand corner, as shown in @Mithferion's  screenshots.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Its not braggin' if its true. For a 1st attempt, true, very good. The amount of work needed to approximate a full 3D render in designer would be prohibitive. And perhaps not even doable.

Might I suggest for your next run at it, work on getting the head outline closer to a circle. Rotate some of the body plate objects. Learn to make gradient fills of all sorts. There are some areas on the original that would be filled better by a conical gradient. Learn to make simple gradients that fade from white to transparent, and nest those within sections that have specular hi-lites.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Oh ok. I saw that and discovered it doesn't work with Grouped items such as the photo I provided. I grouped these items for Convenience but I can't move them in a Group.

1 minute ago, gdenby said:

Its not braggin' if its true. For a 1st attempt, true, very good. The amount of work needed to approximate a full 3D render in designer would be prohibitive. And perhaps not even doable.

Might I suggest for your next run at it, work on getting the head outline closer to a circle. Rotate some of the body plate objects. Learn to make gradient fills of all sorts. There are some areas on the original that would be filled better by a conical gradient. Learn to make simple gradients that fade from white to transparent, and nest those within sections that have specular hi-lites.

Also to this, Ok. thanks for the tip. I'll start learning on tips soon. but I can't find many good Tutorials on simple tasks for affinity designer to show me how certain things effect each other.

Screenshot_2.png

I was just sitting there thinking how it might be possible to do that transformation. At this point, AD doesn't have a mesh warp tool. And those mesh warps I've used would only approximate a transform like that which seems to me to be both a spherical projection then rotated with a perspective transform. In other words, this is not a simple task at all. And not something a 2D software can do well.

AD, being a fairly new app has fewer tutes than others. And for something like you would like to do, I suppose very few people have tried to do it.

A sample of something like the bottom panel made to look like its in perspective. Took too long, at least 30 minutes.

BB8-botm.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet