You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Android on Chromebooks?

I have to wonder how feasible it would be for Serif to do what you suggest. People buy Chromebooks because of price right? I know people that love their Chromebooks and love the fact that they spent $150-200. But would these same people be willing to then spend $50 for Affinity Photo? Or $50 for Affinity Designer?

My guess would be no, they would probably balk at paying so much for a single program, that is one-fourth or one-third the price that they spent for their Chromebook.

Good question. My guess would have been yes, but only for the kind of people paying for the more advanced Chromebooks like the Samsung and Asus tablet style units that came out this year.

I know I'd buy a copy and I also get people asking me what photo editor they can use with their Chromebooks (currently telling them PhotoPea), but I don't know what the total audience would be for a $50 paid app. I sort of feel like it's still suffering from the chicken or egg situation, where if more pro apps existed then more people would be willing to pay $800 for a Chromebook or Chrome Desktop machine. Now that they have Android on them and Google is pushing for more local storage, it could be a true desktop replacement soon.

I mean, do you chase the ball or try to be where the ball is headed?

Also, I don't know how Serif's code is setup, but I would have guessed that 80% of the work is done already and they just need to convert the API calls to Android.

• 2 years later...

Any current plans to include Photo for Chromebooks? There are more and more advanced Chrome systems at significantly higher prices, even higher than my several TB laptop.  My main concern is being able to implement my plan to leave Windows behind...and the sooner the better!!! If I purchase the Windows Affinity will there be any consideration when the Chrome version in available?

Hm. As it happens Krita was released a day ago for Chrome books and tablets. For free. That's a pretty awesome app to have on Chromebooks.

https://krita.org/en/item/first-krita-beta-for-android-and-chromeos-in-play-store/

I agree that Affinity would be a good fit on Android, but I suppose it's the same issue as a Linux version, which would require a completely different port, which in turn requires a lot of energy, time, effort, and money.

1 hour ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

As it happens Krita was released a day ago for Chrome books and tablets.

Interesting. The menus seem to be a little disorienting with the main menu on the right, but the drop-menus popping up on the left instead of flying out from the point of clicking. But still it is nice to see more desktop apps show up for Chrome OS.