You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I get this sky replacement right?

Can someone tell me how to do a good sky replacement of this photo?  Included are the original and my failed attempt.  As you can see there is a lot of purple in the leaves (upper left) in the original.  I tried to defringe but that did not solve it.  There must be some way to get rid of that purple, make the sky selection/replacement easier.  Don't worry that they are not the same size, I am looking for good technique not an interesting photo.

Thanks in advance.

Orig.afphoto

badReplace.afphoto

I didn't get a good replacement, but I found that using the Uplift - Epic Skies macro and reducing the sky opacity to around 55% was a good starting point and then playing with the saturation and contrast.  After that, set the blend mode to multiply in the Layers panel and apply a bit of sharpening to the building / leaves with an unsharp mask filter.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

18 hours ago, jw432 said:

There must be some way to get rid of that purple, make the sky selection/replacement easier

Select the affected part (sky)

Filters > Colours > Defringe

047 2017-11-28, 14_26_36.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

9 hours ago, IanSG said:

I didn't get a good replacement, but I found that using the Uplift - Epic Skies macro and reducing the sky opacity to around 55% was a good starting point and then playing with the saturation and contrast.  After that, set the blend mode to multiply in the Layers panel and apply a bit of sharpening to the building / leaves with an unsharp mask filter.

Thanks all!  Defringe by itself did not do it, but these steps got the image along a lot further, It's still not as good as I would like but upon closer inspection I now see that the real problem is in the source image, where the leaves are both grayish/purple and disconnected in the most troublesome area and remain gray and disconnected even after doing a pretty good job of eliminating the purple.  I appreciate all of the advice and thank you for taking a look at this challenging photo - the video tutorials make it look so easy compared to what I faced in this picture.  Fortunately I am learning, not trying to get a perfect image.

7 hours ago, jw432 said:

the video tutorials make it look so easy compared to what I faced in this picture.  Fortunately I am learning, not trying to get a perfect image.

The tutorials almost always make it look easy!  I find a lot of the time the imperfections are much less obvious to everyone else. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

You can use the colour replacement brush

crt.png.855e8d16b6d13a198dd1c2e0d96b3e93.png

to turn the purple into green. Works much better over a large area than de-fringe.

tree.jpg.36b0f0e02d36cacc9339acfa156220fa.jpg

Set the brush to green (or Alt + Click on a leaf) and paint over.

cols.png.8677784e64453e37b408feeb4eddf8ec.png

I set both the brush opacity and tolerance values to 50%

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

You can use the colour replacement brush

crt.png.855e8d16b6d13a198dd1c2e0d96b3e93.png

to turn the purple into green. Works much better over a large area than de-fringe.

tree.jpg.36b0f0e02d36cacc9339acfa156220fa.jpg

Set the brush to green (or Alt + Click on a leaf) and paint over.

cols.png.8677784e64453e37b408feeb4eddf8ec.png

I set both the brush opacity and tolerance values to 50%

Worked Great toltec, thanks!