You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Again: a problem with Affinity Photo print manager

This is in addition to my previous posts on the current impossibility to use of Affinity Photo print manager for accurate printing:

Affinity Photo print manager should be updated

How Affinity Photo meets Canon pro printers

Today I tried to print an image from Affinity Photo, again, but calculating the scaling per cent with Calculator. This could remove, temporarily, the problem that Affinity photo print manager does not provide the physical size of printed image, but only the scaling per cent.

OK. Let us print an image with, I say, 51% of scaling. You can see Affinity photo print manager below. The image is shown well aligned with respect to the page borders:

1a.thumb.jpg.4b419f5dbda58548013d6c6a459a728d.jpg

But, once you start printing so that Affinity photo calls the printer driver (Canon Pixma Pro-1 in this case, but the same is observed on other Canon printers), you see... the image is turned to the page corner. And there is no way how to change the image location... That is, I guess, Affinity Photo print manager, when connecting with printers, does not do it correctly... In practice this means that you cannot align printed image on page when printing from Affinity Photo. To be honest, this does not allow printing something at all... I see this problem on the Canon professional printers (such as Pixma Pro-1 or Prograf). 

1b.thumb.jpg.df90604da5b2ef54b7f7d0eae0009446.jpg

Compare how this works in Photoshop. When launching PS print manager we can set up both physical size and scaling per cent, on your choice and without boring calculations to match desired height or width of the image:

2a.thumb.jpg.ab78c8098f149e7b310c7792ed3f9532.jpg

And then, PS print managers calls printer drivers in correct way so that the image is well aligned to the page borders:

2b.thumb.jpg.38a4f5c0af07937cbda254ddf17e0412.jpg

CONCLUSION. It is the third week as I use Affinity Photo (trying to migrate to it from Photoshop). I got much editing work in Affinity Photo already. I like it much more than Photoshop, and believe your project has great future. But still unable to print something without problems... Photography exists not only in the fileds of the internet (which is a short flash in the world history). Prints survive in centuries as those made by Bruegel and Duerer five centuries ago. I therefore hope that Affinity photo print manager will have been improved in the next stable release, to meet professional photo-artists who are de-facto print makers as well.

14 minutes ago, Dmitri Rabounski said:

This is in addition to my previous posts on the current impossibility to use of Affinity Photo print manager for accurate printing:

Affinity Photo print manager should be updated

How Affinity Photo meets Canon pro printers

Today I tried to print an image from Affinity Photo, again, but calculating the scaling per cent with Calculator. This could remove, temporarily, the problem that Affinity photo print manager does not provide the physical size of printed image, but only the scaling per cent.

OK. Let us print an image with, I say, 51% of scaling. You can see Affinity photo print manager below. The image is shown well aligned with respect to the page borders:

1a.thumb.jpg.4b419f5dbda58548013d6c6a459a728d.jpg

But, once you start printing so that Affinity photo calls the printer driver (Canon Pixma Pro-1 in this case, but the same is observed on other Canon printers), you see... the image is turned to the page corner. And there is no way how to change the image location... That is, I guess, Affinity Photo print manager, when connecting with printers, does not do it correctly... In practice this means that you cannot align printed image on page when printing from Affinity Photo. To be honest, this does not allow printing something at all... I see this problem on the Canon professional printers (such as Pixma Pro-1 or Prograf). 

1b.thumb.jpg.df90604da5b2ef54b7f7d0eae0009446.jpg

Compare how this works in Photoshop. When launching PS print manager we can set up both physical size and scaling per cent, on your choice and without boring calculations to match desired height or width of the image:

2a.thumb.jpg.ab78c8098f149e7b310c7792ed3f9532.jpg

And then, PS print managers calls printer drivers in correct way so that the image is well aligned to the page borders:

2b.thumb.jpg.38a4f5c0af07937cbda254ddf17e0412.jpg

CONCLUSION. It is the third week as I use Affinity Photo (trying to migrate to it from Photoshop). I got much editing work in Affinity Photo already. I like it much more than Photoshop, and believe your project has great future. But still unable to print something without problems... Photography exists not only in the fileds of the internet (which is a short flash in the world history). Prints survive in centuries as those made by Bruegel and Duerer five centuries ago. I therefore hope that Affinity photo print manager will have been improved in the next stable release, to meet professional photo-artists who are de-facto print makers as well.

Hi Dmitri, welcome to the Affinity Forum! 

I notice that you have the paper size as "Defined by Driver". 

Have you tried selecting the actual paper size you are printing to (A4, A3…)? 

Paul. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 11.30.08.png

17 hours ago, Paul Bravery said:

Hi Dmitri, welcome to the Affinity Forum! 

I notice that you have the paper size as "Defined by Driver". 

Have you tried selecting the actual paper size you are printing to (A4, A3…)? 

Paul. 

Dear Paul,

The aforementioned problem with Affinity Photo print manager does not depend on the method defining paper size. I tried different ways with the same bad result. See two following step-by-step screenshots where I predefined A4 paper size, for example.

So... setting up A4 paper

8a.thumb.jpg.bcabd34d486a9fb3785c4e5e51392080.jpg

We obtain... the same non-aligned form:

8b.thumb.jpg.67a65e572c0e5af3195bacc64bf34e93.jpg

I did not check this issue on EPSON pro-grade printers just because having no EPSONs in the use. But all that has been said above is true for Canon pro-grade printers. Supposedly, the problem is hidden in that fact that Affinity Photo print manager does not properly export information from the printer drivers. Developers of Affinity Photo should know better the source of this problem. But, surely, Affinity Photo MUST work properly with two leading pro-grade families: Canon and EPSON. Think: editing in Affinity Photo then printing from Photoshop thus purchasing Adobe license for only printing purposes... this way would not be considered as something healthy...

This issue is important. Believe me. This is because, due to the above problem, Affinity Photo still remains an "editing only" software without a possibility of professional quality printing... Surely, this gap should be removed by a substantial upgrade of Affinity photo print manager. Otherwise how to compete with Photoshop without a possibility of normal printing?

Sincerely -- Dmitri

Hello Dmitri,

Sorry to ask a probably dumb question, but where have you found this Print Assistant?

I have posted a feature request regarding the ability to set the size of the picture in the print menu, because I have not found such functionality in Affinity Photo 1.6.6 or 1.6.7 beta yet. 
So until now, I work with some models of new documents as empty layout with a soft proofing layer, and place an image in it. It is a bit old fashioned, and not realy fast, but I must admit, it works fine.
Of course I would prefer a convenient Print Assistant.

Regards,
Fx

15 minutes ago, FxRphoto said:

Hello Dmitri,

Sorry to ask a probably dumb question, but where have you found this Print Assistant?

I have posted a feature request regarding the ability to set the size of the picture in the print menu, because I have not found such functionality in Affinity Photo 1.6.6 or 1.6.7 beta yet. 
So until now, I work with some models of new documents as empty layout with a soft proofing layer, and place an image in it. It is a bit old fashioned, and not realy fast, but I must admit, it works fine.

Regards,
Fx

> Sorry to ask a probably dumb question, but where have you found this Print Assistant?

If you mean Affinity Photo print manager; it is accessed from File => Print, or Ctrl + P as well as in any other image editor:

9.thumb.jpg.74c6c741409fff123448ab3138077d2f.jpg

If you mean the small window of Canon IJ Print Assistant (Screenshot 2) -- is launched after sending the image to print via Affinity Photo print manager, -- it is a GUI (Graphic User Interface) of any pro-grade Canon printer provided on a CD with the printer. In my preliminary screenshot Canon IJ Print Assistant comes with Russian interface, but one can install any of other ten or more languages accessed on the printer CD.

> I work with some models of new documents as empty layout with a soft proofing layer, and place an image in it. It is a bit old fashioned, and not realy fast, but I must admit, it works fine.

Yes, theoretically, we can go avoid this problem as you say. But in this case we should prepare a pattern of desired size, re-calculate the image size and so on. But as you say in the end, this is not a good way to do things. This is more suitable to such freeware editors as GIMP wherein you pay nothing for no obligation from the side of the software developer. And also, do forgive about competition with Photoshop. Because I believe in Affinity Photo as a COMPLETE REPLACEMENT of Photoshop for mass people in the closest future, everything of printing needs shuld be done without manual computation and via Affinity Photo print manager.

Thank you, Dmitri

53 minutes ago, FxRphoto said:

Thanks for your answer Dmitri.

Here is what I see when I go through File=>Print... or cmd+P: 

Indeed, nothing looks like your first screen. Maybe you are working with the Windows version, Mac users will have to wait to have a print manager...

Regards,

Fx

AP Print Screen.png

Yes, I use affinity Photo for Windows. Meanwhile Canon & EPSON printer drivers have similar interface on macOS and Windows. From your screenshot, I realize the same big problem: no the possibility to choose physical size of printed image, but only the scaling per cent...

2 hours ago, Dmitri Rabounski said:

Dear Paul,

The aforementioned problem with Affinity Photo print manager does not depend on the method defining paper size. I tried different ways with the same bad result. See two following step-by-step screenshots where I predefined A4 paper size, for example.

So... setting up A4 paper

8a.thumb.jpg.bcabd34d486a9fb3785c4e5e51392080.jpg

We obtain... the same non-aligned form:

8b.thumb.jpg.67a65e572c0e5af3195bacc64bf34e93.jpg

I did not check this issue on EPSON pro-grade printers just because having no EPSONs in the use. But all that has been said above is true for Canon pro-grade printers. Supposedly, the problem is hidden in that fact that Affinity Photo print manager does not properly export information from the printer drivers. Developers of Affinity Photo should know better the source of this problem. But, surely, Affinity Photo MUST work properly with two leading pro-grade families: Canon and EPSON. Think: editing in Affinity Photo then printing from Photoshop thus purchasing Adobe license for only printing purposes... this way would not be considered as something healthy...

This issue is important. Believe me. This is because, due to the above problem, Affinity Photo still remains an "editing only" software without a possibility of professional quality printing... Surely, this gap should be removed by a substantial upgrade of Affinity photo print manager. Otherwise how to compete with Photoshop without a possibility of normal printing?

Sincerely -- Dmitri

Hi Dmitri, 

Please accept my apologies, I ditched Windows a few years ago in favour of the Unices (GNU/Linux and macOS). 

I have also been a Mac Pre-Press Operator/Graphic Designer since the '90s, starting with classic Macs (Mac OS 7.5.5-9.2.2).  

Clearly, your Print Manager issue is specific to how Windows interacts with Affinity Photo. 

Have you tried printing the TIFF file from another native Windows application? 

Kind regards, 

Paul. 

3 minutes ago, Paul Bravery said:

Hi Dmitri, 

Please accept my apologies, I ditched Windows a few years ago in favour of the Unices (GNU/Linux and macOS). 

I have also been a Mac Pre-Press Operator/Graphic Designer since the '90s, starting with classic Macs (Mac OS 7.5.5-9.2.2).  

Clearly, your Print Manager issue is specific to how Windows interacts with Affinity Photo. 

Have you tried printing the TIFF file from another native Windows application? 

Kind regards, 

Paul. 

Dear Paul,

Print manager (first screenshot in all my screenshots) is a part of editing software e.g. Affinity Photo, Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painshop etc. It is developed by the editor developers. And there is printer driver with its GUI, developed by the printer manufacturer (the second screenshot). Printer drivers developed by Canon or EPSON for work properly on both macOS and Windows: otherwise no one person would purchase these printers. The problem is how the print manager embedded into the editing software (Affinity photo in the case under focus) interacts with the printer driver.

And there is no matter what the file format. As I showed above, TIF files are printed properly from Photoshop under Windows. Again, the same steo-by-step screenshots showing the print manager of Photoshop (Windows) and then -- the GUI of the printer driver launched from the Photoshop print manager. The image is centered very well:

1.jpg.5d6b055ab42a1b0235813c30baa4c8a1.jpg2.jpg.82898e95263dc7db0edaf0aace3e2ae8.jpg

In contrast, the printer manager of Affinity Photo, when launching the Canon printer driver, does not interact with the printer driver correct thus non-aligning image at centre (I do not repeat these screenshots because they are above).

That is, answerinf your question: printing TIF file from another Windiows (or macOS or BSD or any other operating system) application will depend on how this application interacts with the printer driver. If Affinity Photo for Windows interacts with Canon or EPSON printer driver in right way, the image will be centered. Surely, Canon and EPSON are two leading families of pro-grade printers for professional HQ printing. Any image editing software considered seruious should interact with these two printer driver families correct. At least on Windows and macOS (because EPSON and Canon produces their printer deriers for only these two opetating systems). The task becomes easier because Canon printer drivers have the same interior for all the Canon printer family; the same is true for EPSON printers.

If I am alone who found this issue with printing, no one person tried to print something serious at studio from Affinity Photo for Windows. Otherwise they would stop the printing then sending a complaint due to the impossibility to center printed images relative to page borders. NO ONE PERSON, Paul. This means that all photograohers still print from Photoshop or Paintshop...

Thank you for attention to this problem -- Dmitri

As I have a Canon Printer (MG7120) I tried printing to see if I had the same problem. I printed the file at 50% on a Letter Size page. It is centered in the AP Print manager and also centered in the Canon Print Manager. And it printed centered. So the image is always centered, never pushed to any other side. 

Step-1.thumb.jpg.af465c577de32166958069b728cb771a.jpg

It would be nice if we could define the margins in AP. If I don't want the final output being centered, I create a new document to the desired size and paste my image anywhere I want and then print it.

Step-2.jpg

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 8 months later...

I am having the same centering problem printing to a Canon Pro-10 printer.  I have not been able to find any way to have the image centered on the page.  Is this just a problem with the Canon Pro printers?  Has anyone discovered a work around?

• 4 months later...

Let me add my name to the list of people who cannot get a Canon Pro10 to print centered. Using 8-1/2" x 11" paper, new document set up with 1/2" margins and no changes to the driver, the print comes out with 3/8" on the leading edge and 5/8" on the trailing edge. The document in Photo has 1/2" margins.

This has been reported for over a year now. Why hasn't it been fixed?

• 1 month later...

I agree about the centering problem of images edited in Affinity and printed with the Canon Pro10.  I have tried many ways with no success.  That remains a deplorable problem with an editor that is as good as Affinity.  My own recourse is to edit in AP and print in PS.  But that is not a desirable solution.  Please fix this problem.  You may notice that there is no paper size preset that is equivalent to 8.5x11 inches; only 8X10 or 10X12.  That may be source of the problem.  

Even though I haven't personally encountered this problem, I am 100% in agreement this is a huge issue that should be fixed ASAP, since Affinity Photo is for Photos and printing is a very important part of Photography :7_sweat_smile: 

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

I print all my wanted images as that completes the process of photography, as I see it.

Cannot say or help with this problem as my Epson 3880 Pro has performed perfectly with AP since day one.

Maybe my workflow including leaving room for post print cropping means I am less critical of the image positioning accuracy but from experiences starting in a darkroom printing was and is a 'dark art' of sorts and in response to that leaving plenty of paper to play with has always served me well.

Additionally; printing on default size paper my results have without my errors been well within acceptable limits (1 or 2 mm). Only when printing on my custom paper sizes to try and extract the most print area from my printer do I get a little more divergence.

Has this problem; or lack of one something to do with the scaling that everyone is talking about.

I do not use 'scaling'. When I start an edit I know what size I want the final image to be and consequently develop the original accordingly. eg:- 600 ppi. 20"x16" gives me a developed tiff image 12000 x 9600 pixels.

When I set up to print my paper is 24"x17"; so that the appalling paper feeder on my printer does not damage the printed area and off we go. The results are pretty much spot on (positionally).

Maybe it's me?;)

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

Thank you Sharkey for responding to my concerns.  I am glad that you do not face this printing problem and that you have found your results to be within acceptable limits.  But it is hardly a mere coincidence that several of us who use a Canon printer are facing this problem.  Your solution to establish the final print size during the first step of editing leaves me puzzled.  If you change your printing mode do you have to start all over with your editing?

17 minutes ago, gpogany@ymail.com said:

No.

I can change any print setting I want without bother - but - as I only print final images the size (image&paper used) need never be changed. 

I have occasionally printed smaller versions for someone without web/computer facilities to see but have had no reason to use scaling changes. Simply choosing a smaller paper size and the default setting gives me a centred image of good quality. I rarely look too closely at these proofs for quality but have also never noticed any odd positioning either. Perhaps ignorance is sometime bliss.

Photo of an image I posted in 'My Work' a little while back on my temporary drying wall. Usually leave prints in the shaded position for a couple of days before getting round to framing.

The leading edge is on the left as you view it and the paper was ½"-12.5mm over width hence the top white area being that much wider than the bottom. I do it that way because the 3880 catches that top left hand corner with the head prior to the print starting. The 3880 does not have a vacuum under the paper so unless the paper is pre/cut/boxed and dead flat the slight lift is enough to cause a problem.

My iPhone is 5/6 years out of date, hence poor image.

I was in no way deriding your problem. I days got by printers and their compatibility with my own machines&software have been a source of many uncontrollable frenzies. I sympathies.

My comments just point (I hope) to a couple of differences in our workflows that may be of consequence.

1/ I use an Epson printer

2/I don't use scaling

3/My image editing starts with the finished product in mind

finally. 4/ I don't know enough about the driver/AP interface to make any tech type assumptions.

Hope that is clearer and possibly even a little helpful:$:)

IMG_0063.JPG

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

11 minutes ago, Sharkey said:

3/My image editing starts with the finished product in mind

When this is possible it is a great way to work. Sadly clients will make changes only after the editing process has begun, they are psychotic/psychic that way.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

When this is possible it is a great way to work. Sadly clients will make changes only after the editing process has begun, they are psychotic/psychic that way.

Oh yes they are!

My solution of old was to have at least one file additionally that could be cropped post the development stage for smaller images but again I would crop and resample to the required print size.

In fact way, way back turning up with a big print and drawing on the poor thing with a felt tip marker pen was not an uncommon starting point (even in the digital age):/

I see what you mean by one of the paper corners being ahead of its opposite.  An excellent picture by the way!  But that still does not solve my problem.  I have tried printing "without scaling" also but to no avail.  The displacement of the image gets worse as the paper size increases.  I once printed down to 6x7 inches and thought that my problem was solved.  I could not measure any displacement.  But as I increased the paper size and printed the same image correspondingly larger of course, the disparity became visually obvious.  By the time I printed on a 13x19 inch paper, the right border was 2.5" as opposed to 1" on the left.  That is unacceptable because the final image is not the size that I indicated it to be.   Be it as it may, it is nice conversation  we are having.  I enjoy it.  On a more serious note I definitely think that AF should address the issue and solve it.  It has lingered too long.

Just as an aside. This miss-centering is something I have been aware of for many years using home printers of all qualities. My old HP Z3100 always printed off centre and always the same way. In that case the fixed side was always the smaller of the two. My only recourse then was to print edge to edge, which was fine on gloss but not appropriate for finer/gallery stuff on fibre papers.

I have used PS since 01 I think(?), On1, Photo Mechanic and sundry others ACDC etc.. The only time I have managed completely reliable centrally place prints was when using a £300 RIP; on free trial of course;).

Have to say that printing (ink jet) has always been the Achilles heal of all my personal workflows.

My local printing laboratory using their own RIP and epson V.Large printers tell me that before their growth enable the investment almost everything was printed on paper one size up from the image. Customers didn't know that obviously. The saving was in the time that they would have wasted in setup. Cutting after (with bulk purchased paper) was less. costly than the time spent getting it right with inferior software.

I have, in the suggestions, mention the possible inclusion of a 3rd party RIP but I doubt that will ever happen:(xD.

Oh this is not to belittle the problem that's being discussed; just putting a bit of history in there.

Bearing in mind Epson produce about (oh god knows) how many printers and Canon/HP etc etc it does seem unlikely that every one (if any) are tested in real life circumstances by image production companies. Adobe have failed dismally for years so I am not hopeful.

What you write about the centering problem when using home printers is interesting.  I have never had this problem when editing in Photoshop and printing with Print Studio Pro or with the built-in print manager of PS.  Not being able to do so in Affinity is the only issue that prevents me from using AF all the way.  I fail to understand why AF does not deal with problem.  I'll look into a RIP program.

I only write as I find.

Apart from independent RIP software I have not found any manipulation programme able to consistently provide a printing output that is reliable.

This is 30 years or so of usage.

As I have said RIP for consistent professional control. Otherwise. Learn to use what you have and produce what you want.

Never trusted software writers (cos I have no knowledge with which to judge). If it does not work out of the box I find a way. It is no use expecting these companies to solve their interconnection problems. After all it is only the customer that struggles.

The bells and whistles of this stuff is what sells. After that it is up to the user; no matter how irate they get.xD

Well Sharkey, I have finally found a point of contention with you.  I have Photoshop and it's print manager has always been good and reliable with all formats and all papers I use.  In addition PS allows me to tap into Print Studio Pro which is plain superb and also very reliable.  There is nothing for me to do but to use it and print "well centered Images".  That is precisely why I am at a loss as to why Affinity is not providing the same amenities to photographers.  The user should not have to "hunt" for solutions for a problem that should inherently be available to him at no additional efforts.

Nah. Not really.

Print Studio Pro is a plugin - yes?

I don't know if AP accepts this particular plugin, but it does accept some?

Maybe that is the answer.

As I said, it was ever thus. PS may produce what you want but for whatever reason it never did for me. Hence my slightly more accepting attitude I think. When you have battled long and hard and find a way of doing what you want despite all the "help/backup"xD from the manufacturers it kinda comes as second nature to sort it yourself.

When I want to produce a printed pamphlet or post I tend to use 'Pages' which in turn defaults to the Epson driver/print layout software and do you know what -  I get centralised prints-da dah!

Funny thing is that when you view the document on the layout popup it looks nothing like the layout on Pages and only after rejigging in the Epson view do I get what I set up originally.

When I asked Apple why this was so they said ask Epson and visa versa?

My point. When two of the largest players out there are still using each other as blame mates after a gazzilion years of working together I really am saying give it time AND work round it until or if they sort it out to your liking.

I know it is not a liking type of thing (like UI colours) but you get my drift.

Ultimately your detailed accounts of the disfunction reported and repeated are all that is available to you - except moving on. I moved on from Adobe stuff simply because they became so impenetrable to their customer base and the software outgrew my needs massively.

I will connect my favourite tech(serif) to this to add my enormous weight to the drive towards perfect printing. After it will make my life alit less bothersome:).

Regards

PS:- just downloaded the Epson Pro Print Layout from Epson site. I let you know how it goes.