You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry, but every time I have a piece of work to produce that must be a precise size, the output from Affinity Designer is just garbage. I've written about this before without any response so I'll try again. I also use the phrase 'seems to' a lot in these examples because, after spending the last ten years operating with other software (SerifDraw being one) and getting exactly the results I need, I just don't know what is going on with Affinity Designer. Exports seem to take into account objects placed outside the document (why bother specifying the work area in the first place?), perhaps when items are cropped (?) such that when I am looking at the screen now and compare it to what I get as an export I am utterly at a loss as to how the result comes about. As a workaround in previous months I've not been using the crop tool at all, instead manipulating every pixel to fit exactly within the screen and hoping for the best. If this isn't responded to I will bin Affinity designer once and for all. Be warned.  

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 18.02.39.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 18.03.11.png

6 minutes ago, sbonsell71 said:

I’m at home now, calming down :) I’ll try nesting the design again tomorrow. I just don’t understand why there is a view that ‘clips to canvas’, yet the export doesn’t do the same? 

I don't have DrawPlus running here at the moment, but if I remember correctly it always restricts its exports to whatever is actually on the canvas, regardless of whether it's set to clip the view of objects which are partially off the canvas.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi sbonsell71,

The export should export just the document (canvas) area unless you select/specify other options from the Area dropdown in the Export dialog.

If you don't want to attach the file publicly you can use this link to upload the file directly to us. All files will be deleted after being inspected.

With the file here i can see how you have structured it and will be able to help you setting the export correctly.

I nested it with a box the exact dimensions I need (1242 x 2208). When I export as 'selection without background' the export image shows as 1380 x 2264. When I override it with the dimensions I need I get all sorts of stretched images. For info, the image on the right (on the canvas) is the size I need.