You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fellow Forum Followers !

I need an answer to an easy problem that I can't seem to wrap my brain around. I have a few dozen images that all need the same help so here goes. I want to crop a section out of an image that for example is 1080pixels by 1920pixels.Each of the images are different sizes and I am not interested in making the whole image fit, just a piece of it. I want to end up with my cropped piece of the image to be at 300dpi at the 1080x1920 pixels. What is the easiest way to accomplish this easy task ? I have watched video after video and I didn't see what I needed. Thanks in advance, Jim

I don't understand what trying to do!

On 27/11/2017 at 4:54 AM, coolpix9 said:

and I am not interested in making the whole image fit, just a piece of it.

Fit what?

I want to end up with my cropped piece of the image to be at 300dpi at the 1080x1920 pixels.

Again, I don't understand!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Well it was a pleasure to help!

However, for the impatient. - See: Cropping: Practical

Make yourself a 1080x1920px cropping preset, so you can reuse these dimensions for all images you want to modify and also change under the document settings the default values to 300 DPI print for the images!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Fellow Forum Followers !

I want to end up with my cropped piece of the image to be at 300dpi at the 1080x1920 pixels. 

I'm afraid that doesn't make sense. 

If you make an image 300 dpi (dots per inch) you can't describe it at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

dpi is a given number of pixels in a physical size, i.e. one inch. So a 4 inch image at 300 dpi would be 1200 pixels. A 1080 x 1920 dimension is an exact number of pixels, nothing to do with inches.

Having said that, you could say that a 1080 pixel image at 300 dpi is 3.6 inches.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:54 AM, coolpix9 said:

Fellow Forum Followers !

I need an answer to an easy problem that I can't seem to wrap my brain around. I have a few dozen images that all need the same help so here goes. I want to crop a section out of an image that for example is 1080pixels by 1920pixels.Each of the images are different sizes and I am not interested in making the whole image fit, just a piece of it. I want to end up with my cropped piece of the image to be at 300dpi at the 1080x1920 pixels. What is the easiest way to accomplish this easy task ? I have watched video after video and I didn't see what I needed. Thanks in advance, Jim

Go to File > New to create a new document and enter 1920px x 1080px @ 300DPI in the dialogue box

Then File > Place and click once on the canvas to place your image in the document

Move the image about with the move tool to how you want it (you may need to zoom out to see the bounding box on the image)

Then File > Export to export it

Consider describing what you are trying to do. It appears you want to select portions of images at HDTV aspect ratio, 9:16. Then convert them to 300 dpi... Right? For what? 300 dpi is a print resolution. Are you trying to print the images out. The image may need to be resampled up before export, depending on the specific printer driver, which may resample the image by itself.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Sorry about my weak description of what I am trying to do. Here in a nutshell is what I am trying to do. I think Sima has figured out my problem for me. I appreciate it greatly  for all your answers.

I have some images of xmas ornaments. They have been all saved at different sizes etc. For my project, I am trying to crop a portion of the images to 1080x1920 pixels. The 300dpi came from my desire to print the final images that have been cropped from the original images.Thanks again for all the help.  Jim