You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Workbook - first impressions

First impressions of Affinity Photo Workbook, reading 100 pages and skipping the rest so I can post this reasonably quickly (I'm off to Venice tomorrow for the week):

• Overall delightfully produced and very readable. A bit big, so you'll need space next to your computer. Being hardback makes it durable, though a fold-back spiral bind could have made it easier for follow-along use.
  • Ch1: Interface tour. Ok. Runs through menus, panels, etc. Some descriptions a bit obvious. Some terms could confuse beginners.
  • Ch2: Core skills. Good for beginners with worked examples and downloadable files, though some may still find a few things tricky. I predict 'how do I do this' questions on the forum.
  • Ch3: Enthusiast projects. This is where it gets good for me. Mostly by ace video-man James Ritson (you can hear him speaking!) with lots of good tips.
  • Ch4: Commercial projects. More good tutorials, with downloadable files and tips.
  • Ch5: Creative Effects and Techniques. Ditto.
  • Extra: Pull-out card keyboard cheatsheets. Mac on one side, PC the other.

Its nearly 500 pages are mostly (about 400) dedicated to 16 walk-through examples. It's called a workbook, not a manual, and it does what it says on the tin. I'm a moderately experienced user and found plenty to learn, so I'm a happy bunny.

If you're a beginner, I'd skim chapter 1, work through chapter 2, then watch James Ritson's videos and get comfortable with the interface, then continue with the rest of the chapters. Or you could try the chapters and resort to the videos if you get stuck. Oh yes, and do make use of the excellent embedded help system (F1), which is a pretty comprehensive manual in itself. And of course ask the friendly folks in this forum.

Could there be more? Yes, of course, but how many page would you need? Personally I'd appreciate a really detailed technical manual on everything, including Noddy explanations of technical terms, but this is something else. I'm still figuring stuff out myself and finding more in this forum. In all the ongoing learning, this book is a useful boost and, for me, is certainly worth the money.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

On 26/11/2017 at 7:18 PM, dmstraker said:

First impressions of Affinity Photo Workbook, reading 100 pages and skipping the rest so I can post this reasonably quickly (I'm off to Venice tomorrow for the week):

• Overall delightfully produced and very readable. A bit big, so you'll need space next to your computer. Being hardback makes it durable, though a fold-back spiral bind could have made it easier for follow-along use.
  • Ch1: Interface tour. Ok. Runs through menus, panels, etc. Some descriptions a bit obvious. Some terms could confuse beginners.
  • Ch2: Core skills. Good for beginners with worked examples and downloadable files, though some may still find a few things tricky. I predict 'how do I do this' questions on the forum.
  • Ch3: Enthusiast projects. This is where it gets good for me. Mostly by ace video-man James Ritson (you can hear him speaking!) with lots of good tips.
  • Ch4: Commercial projects. More good tutorials, with downloadable files and tips.
  • Ch5: Creative Effects and Techniques. Ditto.
  • Extra: Pull-out card keyboard cheatsheets. Mac on one side, PC the other.

Its nearly 500 pages are mostly (about 400) dedicated to 16 walk-through examples. It's called a workbook, not a manual, and it does what it says on the tin. I'm a moderately experienced user and found plenty to learn, so I'm a happy bunny.

If you're a beginner, I'd skim chapter 1, work through chapter 2, then watch James Ritson's videos and get comfortable with the interface, then continue with the rest of the chapters. Or you could try the chapters and resort to the videos if you get stuck. Oh yes, and do make use of the excellent embedded help system (F1), which is a pretty comprehensive manual in itself. And of course ask the friendly folks in this forum.

Could there be more? Yes, of course, but how many page would you need? Personally I'd appreciate a really detailed technical manual on everything, including Noddy explanations of technical terms, but this is something else. I'm still figuring stuff out myself and finding more in this forum. In all the ongoing learning, this book is a useful boost and, for me, is certainly worth the money.

Hi dmstraker,

Don't know if you can help me with a problem I have.

Have got my book and its great, but....I am working through chapter two as you suggested . The problem I have is that on exercise "manipulating an adjustment layer mask" and manipulating a live filter layer mask" the "colour panel" doses not appear. I have tried several times on both exercises selecting the "paint brush tool" and adjusting it as instructed but no colour panel appears. Can you tell me where I am going wrong.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Mikep

10 minutes ago, mikep said:

Hi dmstraker,

Don't know if you can help me with a problem I have.

Have got my book and its great, but....I am working through chapter two as you suggested . The problem I have is that on exercise "manipulating an adjustment layer mask" and manipulating a live filter layer mask" the "colour panel" doses not appear. I have tried several times on both exercises selecting the "paint brush tool" and adjusting it as instructed but no colour panel appears. Can you tell me where I am going wrong.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Mikep

The colour panel is described on page 33. It is usually in the top right, in the set of tabs along with the histogram (which may be obscurimg it). If you can't see it, make sure the menu item View/Studio/Colour is checked.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

13 hours ago, dmstraker said:

The colour panel is described on page 33. It is usually in the top right, in the set of tabs along with the histogram (which may be obscurimg it). If you can't see it, make sure the menu item View/Studio/Colour is checked.

Hi Dave,

It worked! thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

Best Regards

Mikep