You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hmm. I think there may be some clash in installing Macports together with my current Homebrew installation. I managed to install all the dependencies on the Autotrace page via Homebrew but not Autotrace itself. (I just selected one of the tar.bz2 files). 

You can extract the tar.bz2 file into a temporary directory and then copy over the related missing files via the OSX shell/console. The autotrace stuff has to be copied over into the "/opt/local/*" directory structure, see the archives "+CONTENTS" text file .

Make sure the directories "/opt/local/bin", "/opt/local/lib", "/opt/local/share/man/man1" etc. do exist otherwise create them and then, e.g.:

/tmp
/tmp/opt
cd tmp
tmp$

cp opt/local/bin/autotrace  /opt/local/bin/
cp opt/local/bin/autotrace-config  /opt/local/bin/

chmod +x /opt/local/bin/autotrace

cp opt/local/lib/libautotrace.3.0.0.dylib  /opt/local/lib/

cp opt/local/lib/libautotrace.3.dylib  /opt/local/lib/

cp opt/local/lib/libautotrace.a  /opt/local/lib/

cp opt/local/lib/libautotrace.dylib  /opt/local/lib/

cp opt/local/lib/libautotrace.la  /opt/local/lib/

cp opt/local/share/man/man1/autotrace.1.gz  /opt/local/share/man/man1/

Or if you have Apple's Xcode installed with enabled command line tools, then you can build and install it from the initial sources!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

No dice, I'm afraid! I tried, to best of my (lack of) abilities in Terminal and the Finder to create the directory structure above, even the hidden tmp/opt, copy the files from autotrace-0.31.1_10.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2 (the first file on the page of tbz2 files), and use the Centreline extension on an image, but nothing seems to have happened. Inkscape still gives me a message: 'You need to install autotrace for this extension to work!' 

Perhaps I should put the Wacom Slate to the side for a while and study the Terminal :) Anyways, thanks and happy new year's! 

Well of course you need "root" priviligates to do so, thus you will need to perform these things usually via the sudo command in a shell! - However if you have Xcode and it's command line tools support (it's part of Xcode) installed, you usually can use Macports or Homebrew (brew install autotrace) for installation. Though their scripts need too to be run via sudo as root for installment here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Hmm strange, I used to recompile that whole autotrace stuff (also the depency libs etc. first) under El Capitan with "Xcode 8.2.1" and the "Command Line Tools for Xcode 8.2" then.

Did you managed to install autotrace from that Macports package? - If it installs correctly you should be able to call/run the autotrace binary from inside a terminal/console then, as far as your $path options do also include and point to "/opt/local/bin". Otherwise you would have to call it with full given path aka "/opt/local/bin/autotrace" then.

$ /opt/local/bin/autotrace                                                                                                                                   
Usage: /opt/local/bin/autotrace [options] <image_name>.                                                                                                                                    
(Missing <image_name>.)                                                                                                                                                                    
For more information, use ``-help''. 

$ /opt/local/bin/autotrace -help                                                                                                                             
Usage: /opt/local/bin/autotrace [options] <input_name>.                                                                                                                                    
Options:<input_name> should be a supported image.                                                                                                                                          
  You can use `--' or `-' to start an option.                                                                                                                                              
  You can use any unambiguous abbreviation for an option name.                                                                                                                             
  You can separate option names and values with `=' or ` '.                                                                                                                                
background-color <hexadezimal>: the color of the background that                                                                                                                           
  should be ignored, for example FFFFFF;                                                                                                                                                   
  default is no background color.                                                                                                                                                          
centerline: trace a character's centerline, rather than its outline.                                                                                                                       
color-count <unsigned>: number of colors a color bitmap is reduced to,                                                                                                                     
  it does not work on grayscale, allowed are 1..256;                                                                                                                                       
  default is 0, that means not color reduction is done.                                                                                                                                    
corner-always-threshold <angle-in-degrees>: if the angle at a pixel is                                                                                                                     
  less than this, it is considered a corner, even if it is within                                                                                                                          
  `corner-surround' pixels of another corner; default is 60.                                                                                                                               
corner-surround <unsigned>: number of pixels on either side of a                                                                                                                           
  point to consider when determining if that point is a corner;                                                                                                                            
  default is 4.                                                                                                                                                                            
corner-threshold <angle-in-degrees>: if a pixel, its predecessor(s),                                                                                                                       
  and its successor(s) meet at an angle smaller than this, it's a                                                                                                                          
  corner; default is 100.                                                                                                                                                                  
despeckle-level <unsigned>: 0..20; default is no despeckling.                                                                                                                              
despeckle-tightness <real>: 0.0..8.0; default is 2.0.                                                                                                                                      
dpi <unsigned>: The dots per inch value in the input image, affects scaling                                                                                                                
  of mif output image                                                                                                                                                                      
error-threshold <real>: subdivide fitted curves that are off by                                                                                                                            
  more pixels than this; default is 2.0.                                                                                                                                                   
filter-iterations <unsigned>: smooth the curve this many times                                                                                                                             
  before fitting; default is 4.                                                                                                                                                            
input-format:  PNG, TGA, PBM, PNM, PGM, PPM or BMP.                                                                                                                                        
help: print this message.                                                                                                                                                                  
line-reversion-threshold <real>: if a spline is closer to a straight                                                                                                                       
  line than this, weighted by the square of the curve length, keep it a                                                                                                                    
  straight line even if it is a list with curves; default is .01.                                                                                                                          
line-threshold <real>: if the spline is not more than this far away                                                                                                                        
  from the straight line defined by its endpoints,                                                                                                                                         
  then output a straight line; default is 1.                                                                                                                                               
list-output-formats: print a list of support output formats to stderr.                                                                                                                     
list-input-formats:  print a list of support input formats to stderr.                                                                                                                      
log: write detailed progress reports to <input_name>.log.                                                                                                                                  
output-file <filename>: write to <filename>                                                                                                                                                
output-format <format>: use format <format> for the output file                                                                                                                            
  eps, ai, p2e, sk, svg, fig, emf, mif, er, dxf, epd, pdf, cgm, meta, gmfa, meta, gmfb, plot, pcl, plot-pcl, hpgl, plot-hpgl, tek, plot-tek, ..., magick, gcode, c, cairo, lwo, rib, rpl, j
ava, java1, java2, kil, txt, text, mp, mpost, asy, m, mma, tex, latex2e, xml, noixml, pic, hpgl, pcl, dat, pcbi, pcb, pcbfill, gschem, cfdg, tk, vtk, svm, gnuplot, obj, tgif, idraw or dr2
d can be used.                                                                                                                                                                             
preserve-width: whether to preserve line width prior to thinning.                                                                                                                          
remove-adjacent-corners: remove corners that are adjacent.                                                                                                                                 
tangent-surround <unsigned>: number of points on either side of a                                                                                                                          
  point to consider when computing the tangent at that point; default is 3.                                                                                                                
report-progress: report tracing status in real time.                                                                                                                                       
debug-arch: print the type of cpu.                                                                                                                                                         
debug-bitmap: dump loaded bitmap to <input_name>.bitmap.                                                                                                                                   
version: print the version number of this program.                                                                                                                                         
width-weight-factor <real>: weight factor for fitting the linewidth.                                                                                                                       

You can get the source code of autotrace from                                                                                                                                              
http://autotrace.sourceforge.net       

First try to get autotrace installed and running on it's own, afterwards you can see how to setup Inkscape to use it then!

Hi there, 

I appreciate your help - unfortunately, though, I am stuck and don't seem to be getting anywhere...

I can't currently install Xcode (space and OS), but I did install what I believe are the alternative parts, gcc etc. And as I have Homebrew installed, I didn't try installing autotrace using Macports - but I still can't get the Homebrew version of autotrace to work. I should have all the libs and autotrace in their right places, but all this is getting a bit complicated for me… 

I should really get some more feedback from Wacom (very quiet lately) or develop more Terminal skills  - however it shouldn't really require bash skills to work the Bamboo Slate, should it?! :)

Anyway, I'll get back to Wacom in the hopes of some information - really, I should be doing more writing work than sketching right now, so that's ok! Thanks again for trying! 

Ok then you can just use the Rapid Resizer online service for centerline tracing. See also this video:

Well I'm not sure Wacom will invest time into this at all, probably not if only few people are complaining the SVG export options of their software. Though they sure could add something like an additional center line trace SVG output here.

Good luck!

Great stuff! Thanks again. I'll have to become more savvy with the Terminal and find ways around the issue. 

You're probably right about Wacom (at least based on the responses thus far) - but it is curious... this kind of feedback is exactly the kind of thing that can improve the desirability and functionality of products/services, instead of leaving them 'half functional'. Often, the smaller the software/hardware developer, the more likely they are to listen to customers, it seems. 

Anways, I'll follow your instructions as I return to this issue and will make it all work!  

• 7 months later...

Hello,  my name is Wyess. This is my first post here.

I've written a set of Python scripts to extract stroke data from WILL file as my side-project. 
https://github.com/Wyess/will2svg

I'm not quite sure if this is what you are looking for, so I attached an output of the scripts as an example. The stroke width is set to the default value of 1 in this example. I would be happy to share more information about the scripts; how to get them running, what features could be added, etc...

Regards,

Wyess

WCM0012.svg

• 2 weeks later...
Great stuff, it works! 

I didn’t have everything needed on my Mac, so I had to install some bits and bobs - now, all’s ok…
Anyway, for anyone else reading this but unfamiliar with the MacOS Terminal, my steps were:

1  You need Python v3 and YAML for the scripts to work. I only had Python 2.7: this comes with your MacOS installation and is best left untouched. I first installed Homebrew (a ‘package manager’ for MacOS) via the ‘bash command’ found on the Homebrew homepage https://brew.sh (the text on the site needs to be pasted into your MacOS Terminal app) 

2 Having installed Homebrew, I used it to install Python3 (by typing ‘brew install python3’ into the Terminal) 

3 I also didn’t have YAML installed (or, rather the Python version of YAML, PyYAML). There seems to be a Homebrew method to install, but I got YAML via the pip3 command found on the official YAML page (pip/pip3 is included in the Python2/Python3 installation) and typed in ‘pip3 install pyyaml’. (Nota Bene - YAML itself is a just file format; not something you install on your computer proper, like the Python installation)

Then:

4 I downloaded the scripts from Wyess’s Github page and placed them onto the desktop.

5 In Terminal, I navigated to the desktop by typing ‘cd Desktop’. I recommend Googling for information on basic MacOS/bash Terminal usage and commands (such as cd ‘change directory’).

6 I created a folder for the scripts by typing ‘mkdir wyess’ (step not necessary: this was just to tidy them up off the desktop)

7 dragged the Python scripts into the wyess folder

8 I entered the folder by typing ‘cd Desktop/wyess’

9 ‘ I didn’t have the necessary (Terminal) rights to read, write and execute for these files, so I had to modify my rights for the files. This may be because, on the Github page, I clicked the ‘raw’ button instead of the ‘clone or download’ and ‘download ZIP’ buttons. If you are the owner of the file, but do not have all the read/write/execute rights, you can change the file's permissions with a Terminal command such as 'chmod u+rwx ./*.py’.

10 I typed ‘ls -ltr’ to check that the rights had indeed changed. 

11 Typing ‘./will2svg.py filename.will’ into the Terminal is enough to generate the resultant, centrelined svg file, called filename.svg.

Great work, Wyess - I’m sure these scripts will be of much help to Wacom Bamboo Slate users - thanks a lot for your help!