pixelschubsen

both applications don´t survive hibernation on windows 10 ...

Hey pixelschubsen,

1. Are you just using a standard laptop or a Surface? 
  2. How are you entering Hibernation mode? Closing the lid or pressing the power button? Do both of those cause the same issue?
  3. How long have you been working before it happens? 
  4. Does it happen instantly? For example, enter Hibernation mode > Open the lid/press power button. Do you believe the amount of time Hibernation mode is enabled for determines this?
  5. Does it happen all the time or occasionally? 

1) dellxps13 - not the baddest notebook on earth!

2) all three ways kill the files and the apps... hibernation over button... after 1 hour automatically ... and by clicking on the menues Logout etc. the offical way

3) it happens everytime - with every file - with both of your apps... and I now do save every 5 minutes (CAUSE I HAVE SOME

4) it´s not time related.

5) all the time !!! and i have no error messages or something. the apps are gone with the wind... :-(

other apps like cinema 4d or after effects - sometimes in the background - they all survive ----

Hey pixelschubsen,

I've just tried this on two different laptops that are fully up to date with Windows and GPU drivers but I can't reproduce it. One of the laptops did say Not Responding for 4-5 seconds but it recovered.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you put the apps to sleep instead of hibernation? 

Hey Ho....

I´ve checked sleep with open files. System comes back with "open" Photo and Designer... when I clicked in the windows they crashed with "no response" and no error report ... I have to kill both apps in the task manager. (on hibernation both apps are gone after awakening)

maybe it´s my high resolution display 3200x1800 touchscreen?!?!?

WIN 10 uptodate - DELL XPS13 - SSD - Geforce GT750M all drivers up to date  (and i can play "just cause 3" flawless on that system!)

Hey pixelschubsen,

I've just done a bit of research for other apps that crash when the computer wakes up from sleep or hibernation. I don't think it is necessarily a GPU driver issue but it could be related to the GPU.

One thread I found mentioned that an option in the Nvidia control panel called 'Vertical Synchronization' was causing this for a few people. I'm not saying it will definitely be that, but it might be worth having a look around the Nvidia control panel to see if anything looks out of place. You could even try restoring the default settings to see if that helps.

Can you try doing an MSCONFIG for me please?

Instructions if you aren't sure:

1. Windows key + R
  2. Type msconfig in the RUN box
  3. Services tab > Enable 'Hide all MS services'
  4. Click Disable all
  5. Startup > Make a note of what is enabled and then disable everything

This is purely to see if anything is interrupting the apps. There may be an app installed on both of them causing Affinity to not recover. 

Sorry about all this. I'd really like to get to the bottom of it. I'll reach out to dev and see if they've got any ideas whilst I wait for you to reply. 

5. He means click on the Startup Tab then

Make a note of what is enabled in that Tab and then disable everything

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Sorry for not being clear about Step 5. In Windows 10 it takes you to Task Manager and you have to disable everything individually (it's a pain). 

There is a lot of apps running looking at your screenshots so I would definitely recommend disabling the Start-up apps to see if this is causing Affinity to crash. Perhaps just do half of the running apps, reboot and Hibernate and then try the other half as it will help narrow down what may potentially be causing this.

Obviously I cannot guarantee that it is another app causing the issue but we have seen other apps have a negative impact on Affinity and we've managed to resolve a lot of them.

Sorry guys. But this sounds not very professional to me. If you want to sell software to the biggest market in the world - WINDOWS Systems - then you have to do better and hire staff or keep the windows version a beta till stable enough. if you like to get rich with that one percent APPLE Market you have to raise the price of your software. this stays a sucker... but I wish you all the best!

Hey pixelschubsen,

As it stands, you are the only person who has reported this in a long time (as far as I know). If we cannot reproduce this it will always be more difficult to fix. I've tried it on 3 laptops running 7, 8.1 and 10 as well as a Surface Pro and none of them have this issue.

It is very likely this issue is isolated to your machine. I've already spoken will dev and I will do so again to see if there is anything they can suggest. If it isn't a 3rd party app, it is going to be a setting somewhere on your laptop.

3 hours ago, pixelschubsen said:

Sorry guys. But this sounds not very professional to me. If you want to sell software to the biggest market in the world - WINDOWS Systems - then you have to do better and hire staff or keep the windows version a beta till stable enough. if you like to get rich with that one percent APPLE Market you have to raise the price of your software. this stays a sucker... but I wish you all the best!

We're trying to help you out here, but we can't reproduce the problem here, which leads us to believe it isn't some bug in our software. Hibernation requires no special code from application developers, as the operating system writes each process' memory to disk, then shuts down, before restoring the original process memory on reboot.

Our applications even support upgrading of GPU device drivers without having to shutdown the application first. We go a long way to ensuring the stability of our applications under various different scenarios. Currently we have zero other reports of this in our bug tracking system, and being unable to reproduce it, there is no way we can attempt to solve it. 

I suggest you either work with @Chris B who is trying to help you, or ask for a refund of the software if you feel it doesn't meet your needs.