You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Received my copy and am impressed but there is a small problem where on the screen shots are displayed the blue lines do not extend into the graphic?  Where as the web ones do, is this an error during production of the document where the 'lines' have not been brought too the 'top'?

AffinPhoto Chap1.jpg

• Staff

@Ron6319,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

I am not in the office today and will check this out tomorrow. That does sound like a printing/production issue, sorry if it has taken away from your enjoyment of the book. Let me investigate and get back to you on this. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Ron6319 said:

Can you download this from within the program?

The program doesn't know about the workbook resources, otherwise they would all be available to users who don't own a copy of the workbook. There are copyright/distribution issues affecting resources other than the 'core skills' ones.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...

I received my copy of Photo Workbook and the same thing. Actually, most of the images in Chapter 1 are like this...can't see where the lines go. :44_frowning2:

On 11/26/2017 at 2:42 AM, Ron6319 said:

Received my copy and am impressed but there is a small problem where on the screen shots are displayed the blue lines do not extend into the graphic?  Where as the web ones do, is this an error during production of the document where the 'lines' have not been brought too the 'top'?

AffinPhoto Chap1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks like the lines have been overprinted or multiplied by mistake. You can see where some of them go if you use a really bright light, like the LED flashlight from a phone. Not idea. The Designer workbook is not like this and entirely legible.

In fact, the teaser image from the blog exhibits this problem:

overview_spread_desk_EN.jpg

Vs Designer:

de-imac@2x-171020161028--desk.jpg

• Staff
1 hour ago, JMo said:

Looks like the lines have been overprinted or multiplied by mistake. You can see where some of them go if you use a really bright light, like the LED flashlight from a phone. Not idea. The Designer workbook is not like this and entirely legible.

JMo,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Sorry about this overprint issue. We requested overprint on the text on the spot colour chapter start pages (to make the grey text more legible) It was unfortunately applied to all pages on some of the initial run. Our second print run correctly has the overprint set in the PDF on the text on the chapter start pages, and all the rest of the pages do not have this issue. Please accept our apologies. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the welcome Patrick. And no apology necessary, the issue doesn't diminish the content of the workbook, more just wanted to make sure Affinity was aware. Love the spot colour and loving the Affinity applications. Thanks for the great work!

Justin

• 2 months later...
On 26/11/2017 at 4:05 PM, Ron6319 said:

None of the links on page 11 are valid?

Where are the rescource links page 86?

In fact none of the resource links are valid even with a google search?

On 24/01/2018 at 10:13 PM, JMo said:

Thanks for the welcome Patrick. And no apology necessary, the issue doesn't diminish the content of the workbook, more just wanted to make sure Affinity was aware. Love the spot colour and loving the Affinity applications. Thanks for the great work!

Justin

I bought the book, in fact both of them. I read the Photo Book and was really excited to get to work on the projects. However, none of the resource links work. What can I do? Do you have any ideas?

• Staff

Hi Ladd Biggs,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Regarding the Affinity Photo Workbook, there is an explanation of how to get the resources at the start of the book, on page 9 on the right. Each chapter's files are provided on the beginning of each chapter (pages 86, 140, 156, 174, 188, 200, 226, 248, 266, 290, 314, 340, 366, 388, 406, 424, 448). You can easily locate the link looking for the two overlapping files/documents icon on a blue background. For example take a look at page 140 on top: that link contains all the files needed for that chapter. Enter the full URL as appear there on your browser's URL field to download the zip file, unzip it to a folder then use each file as referenced on each page for that chapter (the purple file references on the top of each page inside that chapter).

Same for the Affinity Designer Workbook. The links are on the pages 69, 126, 150, 184, 234, 262, 306, 338, 362, 414 (the beginning/first page of the chapters).

• 3 months later...

Novice at photo editing ....using Apple ipro 12/.9 ......purchased affinity app thinking I could teach myself.

Found that I needed something I could work along side with.......soooooooo purchased photo workbook assuming I would be able to access within the book  "resources" queing up the same photo in the work book.

Thus being able to work/follow along with the same photo's as I try to self teach techniques .........unable to access resources and it appears I am not alone with this issue. 

Such a shame.........finding it difficult to be on a tutorial......then flip to a photo to try and practice the technique. 

Now I am back on Youtube..........so I can follow along..........I would like an explanation regarding this "lack of being able to access resources". 

3 minutes ago, Diane Hess said:

I would like an explanation regarding this "lack of being able to access resources". 

If you type the complete URL (as shown in the book) into the location bar of your browser and press Enter you should be able to access the resources. Don't make the mistake of trying to search for the URL, or of selecting one of the browser's suggestions for what you might want. Just type the URL and press enter.

If you've tried that and it doesn't work, can you tell us what error you got?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Diane Hess,
There is an explanation of how to get the resources at the start of the book, on page 9 on the right. Each chapter's files are provided on the beginning of each chapter/subchapter only. You can easily locate the link looking for the two overlapping files/documents icon on a blue background. For example take a look at page 140 on top: that link contains all the files needed for that chapter. Enter the full URL as appear there on your browser's URL field to download the zip file, unzip it to a folder then use each file as referenced on each page for that chapter (the purple file references on the top of each page inside that chapter).

You can find all links/subchapters on pages: (pages 86, 140, 156, 174, 188, 200, 226, 248, 266, 290, 314, 340, 366, 388, 406, 424, 448.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

If you type the complete URL (as shown in the book) into the location bar of your browser and press Enter you should be able to access the resources. Don't make the mistake of trying to search for the URL, or of selecting one of the browser's suggestions for what you might want. Just type the URL and press enter.

I am in Safari.......my browser that reads= search or enter website name........I typed in ..see page 146...

mam_tor.afphoto (03.Creating A Moody Sky snapshot)...hit return 

the response was:  a youtube video by Olivio Sarikas  How to replace a sky ...totally different photo than what is reflected on page 146 ?????

22 minutes ago, Diane Hess said:

I am in Safari.......my browser that reads= search or enter website name........I typed in ..see page 146...

mam_tor.afphoto (03.Creating A Moody Sky snapshot)...hit return 

the response was:  a youtube video by Olivio Sarikas  How to replace a sky ...totally different photo than what is reflected on page 146 ?????

The URLs in the workbook are for zip archives of the resource files. The file ‘mam_tor.afphoto’ is an Affinity Photo project file zipped up in one of those zip archives: it is not available for downloading separately.

As per @MEB‘s post, you need to use the link at the beginning of the chapter (page 140).

Alfred spacer.png

On 6/14/2017 at 4:01 AM, isharastar said:

These are great vids on how the individual parts of the app work, but I've not used Affinity before (have been editing on iPad with Enlight, Snapseed, Superimpose, iColorama etc). I know that a lot of people who have been editing on these simpler apps are buying Affinity now it is available for iPad, and Affinity is not immediately understandable for us - as new users, we aren't simply adding to a pre-existing knowledge of desk top Affinity, but are moving to a whole new way of editing that wasn't available to us before now.

What would really help me (and the many others in the same position) are some tutorials that start with importing a photo and take the viewer step by step through the editing workflow to the final product :) That way I can watch on the Mac, fire up Affinity on the iPad and follow along, and learn things in workflow order which helps me remember them :)

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Diane Hess,
There is an explanation of how to get the resources at the start of the book, on page 9 on the right. Each chapter's files are provided on the beginning of each chapter/subchapter only. You can easily locate the link looking for the two overlapping files/documents icon on a blue background. For example take a look at page 140 on top: that link contains all the files needed for that chapter. Enter the full URL as appear there on your browser's URL field to download the zip file, unzip it to a folder then use each file as referenced on each page for that chapter (the purple file references on the top of each page inside that chapter).

You can find all links/subchapters on pages: (pages 86, 140, 156, 174, 188, 200, 226, 248, 266, 290, 314, 340, 366, 388, 406, 424, 448.

Am I to somehow import these "zipped archives" and down load to a folder first ?

mister moderator just directs me to page 9 .....not much guidance there ...

Yo to other users ...... what am I missing.......be aware I am using Ipad Pro 12.9 only ........Affinity app. purchased and down loaded via apple.......

8 minutes ago, Diane Hess said:

be aware I am using Ipad Pro 12.9 only

Thanks for the extra info, Diane. (You’ve been posting to a thread in the forum section dedicated to the desktop versions.)

You need an app such as the free Documents by Readdle to unzip the contents of the archive.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Hi Diane Hess,
I missed the reference to the iPad, sorry. Zipped files are compressed (zipped) files which means they require less space on disk and are quicker to download than the corresponding full content without being compressed, however to use them you have to uncompress (unzip) their contents first. On the iPad you can use Stratospherix's FileBrowser or Readdle's Documents apps to do it. Use these programs to navigate to the zip file, tap on it and they will uncompress the contents to a folder with the same name as the zip file automatically for you. Then you can use Affinity Designer/Photo for iPad to open them as usual. Let us know if you still have trouble.