You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

rotate or scale or transform an object from a specific point

• Staff

No user defined origin yet but you can rotate around the opposite corner handle by pressing cmd when over the rotate handles. This should also work for shear.

You can control scale again with key modifiers, just have a look at the status bar when you hover over the tool handles.

Thanks,

TonyB.

Thanks for that info TonyB, although for me the opposite corner rotating works with control not command pressed.  Glad to hear you're working on the user defined option as well! In future I'll keep my eye on the status bar a little more too.

• 10 months later...

SEE VIDEO ATTACHED.

I discovered this workaround for this problem that has been plaguing this app. I too struggled with this at first. The only way I know how to do this is to "trick" the app. So here's how I did it:

I am using a triangle as the object I want to rotate and duplicate around a user defined origin. (This is an example of "unique" origin to show that it can be totally user defined.) The crosshairs of the guides is where I want the origin to be on the triangle. Then create a circle based on this origin (use key modifiers to scale from center). MAKE SURE IT IS BIGGER THAN THE OBJECT. Group both objects, Duplicate, or CMD+J, rotate that object to the degree you want (I used shift to constrain to 15 degrees). Then just use CMD+J over and over to finish--if this is what you want to do. Ungroup and delete the circle.

Affinity Designer has all the tool we need, we just have to think a little bit. I think we all have just gotten used to Adobe with all their shortcuts. CHEERS!

ROTATE FROM ORIGIN.mov

I like your solution but I wouldn't group the triangle and the circle or else you will need to ungroup them and delete multiple circles.  Instead, I would put them in separate layers and then select them and then follow your directions, that you can easily turn disable or even delete the layer with the circles. 

• 4 years later...
9 minutes ago, MEB said:

Check the Point Transform Tool for these operations.

Not the whole story. According to the menu Layer -> Transform -> Every action in here ... Serif called it a transformation. But these actions from the menu do not work as expected with the Point Transform Tool.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

The operations from the Layer > Transform always menu use the object's centre point (by design). That's why I suggested the Point Transform Tool which was added later after the OP's post and should do what Klemen Červ is requesting (custom transform origin) as per this thread title.

Maybe you should rethink if this by design-decision makes sense. Naturally in such a complex application there are functions which can be used from different locations, but it is irritating if a certain function is behaving differently in different places.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

irritating if a certain function is behaving differently in different places

There are several ways to rotate and to select rotation points, in purpose and with advantages in some cases and disadvantages in others – like with many optional workflow alternatives.

565565898_rotatemenu.jpg.7ad58b8f398c2d4df2d759848ec57b6d.jpg

Besides your mentioned right-click or Layer menu > Transform (with only 2-4 angles) there is another way when using the Transform Panel with its 3x3 rotation points which allows to choose a corner or mid as rotation point and is only respected when using this panel for rotation.

622819105_rotatepanel.jpg.8f8cfbc89fe75a3ae68e3730dcd46443.jpg

Another UI is in the Toolbar > "Enable Transform Origin" which allows to move the rotation point to any coordinate in your document.

1440752796_rotatetoolbar.jpg.6ee635e5b4a2d05ea34d209de81ad1e7.jpg

One has to get used to this variety of options and behaviors to make the most of it. One possible reason for user irritation also is the different user interface used by other apps.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I have never doubted, that there are different approaches. So do me a favour and solve this riddle for me and I would love to have a simple solution. :D

1. Create a rectangle, move the transformation origin to the right middle handle.

2. Flip the rectangle horizontally.

Desired result: Rectangle flippled around the right middle handle. In ID CS 6 two clicks away.

------

@MEB Maybe you could move the below thread from the bug forum to the feature request forum where it gets more attention (hopefully)?

------

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Maybe you could move the below thread from the bug forum to the feature request forum where it gets more attention (hopefully)?

As that is in the Bug forum it should have been responded to long ago by someone from the Serif team, if only to say that it's not a bug. But apparently they missed it, as sometimes happens.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No accusation from my side. Can happen, just wanted to point out that this matter is not fixed for me. And I do not "like" to bump threads without adding valuable information.

------

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

it is irritating if a certain function is behaving differently in different places

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

I have never doubted, that there are different approaches

In a sense they have doubted the irritation that results from different approaches. Unfortunately, these can of course just contain the same functions but with different behavior.

I am not glad with that, too. But I guess it is meant to be in the sake of user's flexibilty. I agree and in particular I do not understand the limitation of the transformation point of the flip function. I also see no benefit in the fact that the 3x3 points in the Transform Panel are not used for mouse actions, but only within the Transform Panel.

The following thread may shed some light on these issues and/or features; it initially was started as a simple flip question (as in your recent post) and became more complex within 3 days. Here's a start reading point near the end. Notice PixelPest's comment: "can´t tell how often this has been requested already over the years - and still no sign at the horizon."

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Joachim_L,
If you would like to have the flip functions added to the Point Transform Tool or any other place feel free to create a new thread in the respective section in the Feature Requests & Suggestions area. Thanks for your feedback.

@MEB, wasn't that requested already? It seems so:

On 7/30/2019 at 4:22 PM, PixelPest said:

Yes - can´t tell how often this has been requested already over the years - and still no sign at the horizon.