R34V3r

did Screen blending mode change in 1.6.1 ?

I normally use the screen blending mode all the time for blending text on certain areas, like concrete walls etc.
today I couldnt get that effect to work. switching to Screen makes my text disappear:
normal:
normal.thumb.PNG.cc0ef631ff25ce9edb10e31284ff931e.PNG

screen:
Screen.thumb.PNG.82be62aaafd64b1ceec26894e2e79047.PNG

I retraced my steps using this tutorial video to make sure I didnt miss anything, but the text keeps disappearing.
I tried this on 2 different devices with no luck. I'm pretty sure the Screen blending mode changed since 1.6.1, as this method used to work wonderfully in the past.

the affinity work file I used (text.afphoto).

Did this change or am I going crazy?

I would expect a screen blend mode not to show black. So your file is working correctly.

But the tutorial video clearly shows a screen blending on black text which appears to make it translucent white.

This confuses me!

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

OK - I understand what is different in your file VS the tutorial…

• In your file the Displacement and Gaussian blur are applied as masks to the Text layer.
  • In the tutorial they are nested within the Text layer.

5a185ce35af1d_AffinityLiveFilterMaskvsNested.gif.8e05ca1f93cf83f20d47fbe535ee0a51.gif

Notice that the position of the Live Filter icons is slightly different in the nested version (further left) to the mask version (further right).

The difference is very (stupidly) subtle! This was recently discussed here…

It is all about where you insert or drag the live filter. You are looking for the blue insert bar to be nested below and right of the text layer, rather than to the right edge of the text layer icon.

5a186051ecac4_AffinityLiveFilterMaskvsNestedHighlightBar.gif.cea7e1868a8c01fde97b166bf4e624e4.gif

I am still confused as to why applying the displacement filter causes the black text to turn white and show up with the screen blend mode - can someone enlighten me?

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

10 hours ago, Aammppaa said:
  • In your file the Displacement and Gaussian blur are applied as masks to the Text layer.
  • In the tutorial they are nested within the Text layer.

In the video he simply does a Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Displace Filter which appears to me to automatically place it in the "mask" position on the layer

I do not then see him move it to the "nested" position

There is something still not right here

Following the video does not work for me now (the text disappears) whereas in the past I'm sure I followed it and it worked as shown.

(Windows 8.0, AP 1.6.1)

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

In the video he simply does a Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Displace Filter which appears to me to automatically place it in the "mask" position on the layer

I do not then see him move it to the "nested" position

There is something still not right here

Following the video does not work for me now (the text disappears) whereas in the past I'm sure I followed it and it worked as shown.

(Windows 8.0, AP 1.6.1)

thx for the replies. putting it in nested does seem to fix it to some extend.
like you said, following the video now makes the text dissapear whereas Im sure it didnt in the past.

I also noticed the nested option doesnt blend the displace filter as well as it being masked, as it seems to be constrained to the filled area of the parent layer.

nested:
nested.thumb.PNG.acd513e0969883362e5722fbcc03c1d9.PNG

masked:
masked.thumb.PNG.10d7fee5b7f8a217ec188c1d4bbea11a.PNG

Good sleuthing - looks like we'll have to wait for an official answer.

Notice how this difference of results (diff in blending math, not diff in clipping of effect edges) when masking or clipping a filter layer in a group is considered a bug in this thread

Also unfortunately filters in the mask position are also broken and show a grid pattern. I even see the grid-like disturbance in your masked screnshot above. Try zooming your image and notice the gridlines in the displacement effect moving. Bug discussed in this thread

And finally, displacement map filter is bogus in taking into account all layers for displacement map, not only the underlying layers. Reported ages ago in

12 hours ago, shojtsy said:

Also unfortunately filters in the mask position are also broken and show a grid pattern

I didn't mean the masked position is bugged. The masked effect here seems right to me. But this does mean if there is a "change" in blending math of "Screen", following an official tutorial doesn't seem to give the same effect anymore. It can be "fixed" by nesting the layer instead of masking, but that effect doesn't blend in enough to look real to me, as it is contraint to the area the text is covering (again, the nested position itself seems right to me. Then again the output of that nested layer is a black layer of modified text, which should have the same screen effect and doesnt for some reason). 

I don't know if this is a bug, Photoshop has the same effect as AP now, so "Screen" might as well be fixed/improved in 1.6.1 in terms of compatibility of psd-files. But they exploited that screen effect property of previous versions in an official tutorial video, so this being changed makes me think of the possibility it can be a bug.

Also I really liked the screen effect of 1.5 :( 

Hi All

Screen has changed when applied to text in 1.6. This was actually a bug in 1.5 fixed in 1.6. By the nature of how screen is supposed to work, pure black objects to not blend on top. Screen lightens pixels based on the on the lightens of the pixels in the blended layer. As black is a zero point or basically no lightness there is no blend, with white being 100% the top layer. 

I've made the doc guys aware of this change and they are currently in the process of updating some of the older video for 1.6

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com