You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Why is raw different jpg?

I have photos (jpg + raw captured) from nikon camera. When I open .nef file in Photo (photo stars in develop persona), there is some adjustments. When I open .jpg, ad switch to develop, tehe is no adjustments. Why? Assistant is disabled, and everywhere is 'take no action'. I want to open .nef file and do adjustments by myself. I want to see my .nef file like .jpg.

Here is .jpg opened in develop persona:

jpgNinNdevelop_TUAZ.jpg

And here is .nef in develop persona:

nefNinNdevelop_HRxy.jpg

• Staff

It sounds like Irfanview is showing you the embedded JPEG preview within the RAW file. As Merde said, Photo's RAW processing differs entirely to the processing that happens in-camera for the JPEG so it's natural for the result to look different. The point of RAW is to have more flexibility at the editing stage - rather than have it look the same, wouldn't you prefer to try and bring back some of the shadow and highlight detail? If you want them to match, it looks like the RAW version needs desaturating and perhaps a little reduction in contrast..

When I open .nef file in Photo (photo stars in develop persona), there is some adjustments. When I open .jpg, ad switch to develop, tehe is no adjustments. Why? Assistant is disabled, and everywhere is 'take no action'. I want to open .nef file and do adjustments by myself. I want to see my .nef file like .jpg.

Some options only apply to RAW files, as Develop works in a completely non-destructive format where assistant options like the Tone Curve are applicable. Entering the Develop persona from an already opened file (e.g. JPEG) will limit your options because it's no longer working in that same format (as your image is already processed). Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

3 hours ago, szczemp said:

But irfanview shows both files same. Both look like .jpg.

James Ritson explained it already. I would like to add one more thing: some of third party raw processing software try to simulate in-camera processing, but usually results are far from perfect.

If you want to have raw processed exactly like SOOC jpeg, use your camera manufacturers' software (Nikon Capture NX for NEF or DPP for CR2 files). Fuji users (myself included) have to rely on simulations, because Fuji doesn't provide their own software. They just use SilkyPix, with different raw conversion engine.