You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DNG file from negative scan - Low res

Hi there,

Tried looking this up before.

I just got myself Affinity photo from the app-store and wow it is fast.

But.

I mainly shoot film, so my photos are RAW DNG's coming out of VueScan. Which means they are negatives that are about to be converted.

I just tried opening one of them directly in AffinPhoto, and the max resolution that shows up is showing me 250 x 250 pixels...but when I open the converted TIF file, it shows up as the real size (5000 x 3800 in this case).

Am I doing something wrong, or is the programme not possible to read the RAW-scan from VueScan?

C

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-11-23 at 11:23 PM, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Archduk3. :)

This is a known issue with DNGs from VueScan.

I’m bumping this because this is sort of silly. Vuescan creator Ed Hamrick why there is an issue, and when I open the files with other softwares they have no issue.

Even Apple’s own Aperture 3 can open it.

What’s the hold up?

C

You refer to the DNGs as negatives. Do you mean that you have negative film which the scanner has not inverted, or are you using the convention that a DNG is a digital negative?

When I use VueScan (film or slide), I save as a tiff, and this is then automatically opened in Affinity with no problems. Is this not feasible for you?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 12/23/2017 at 6:53 AM, John Rostron said:

You refer to the DNGs as negatives. Do you mean that you have negative film which the scanner has not inverted, or are you using the convention that a DNG is a digital negative?

When I use VueScan (film or slide), I save as a tiff, and this is then automatically opened in Affinity with no problems. Is this not feasible for you?

John

Yes, correct I work with them as a negative.

But also the DNG file that is saved can not be read by AP. It just shows up as a preview size.

And no, that isn't feasible, since the color handling for vuescan isn't amazing saving the actual TIFF-file, I want to do it myself, adjusting the colors for the least lossless file.

C

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

I wonder if there really is much difference between correctly scanned 16-bit TIF and DNG from same source.

Would it be possible for you to post a developed DNG and an equivalent tiff for us to see?

What sort of scanner are you using? Although I have used VueScan on my Nikon film LS50 film scanner, I now use Silverfast. It is more expensive, but it delivers the goods. I suggest that you download a trial of Silverfast for your scanner to see if it delivers for you. The website is www.silverfast.com.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630