jamescomp

Crashing and freezing

I’ve had to abandon my current projects on my iPad Pro 2017 since the app has become progressively worse. I can’t merge layers or adjustments without the app crashing or freezing.  When I try to export a file in jpeg, tif to my iPad photos the app crashes.  I can export to my flash drive from which I can then upload to the photos section in a workaround move, hassle.  I’m updated on iOS.  I’ve re-installed the app twice, no luck fixing the problem.  My iPad is fully loaded with ram and storage.  I love this app but am now stalled in my tracks.  Help!!!

9 hours ago, jamescomp said:

I’ve had to abandon my current projects on my iPad Pro 2017 since the app has become progressively worse. I can’t merge layers or adjustments without the app crashing or freezing.  When I try to export a file in jpeg, tif to my iPad photos the app crashes.  I can export to my flash drive from which I can then upload to the photos section in a workaround move, hassle.  I’m updated on iOS.  I’ve re-installed the app twice, no luck fixing the problem.  My iPad is fully loaded with ram and storage.  I love this app but am now stalled in my tracks.  Help!!!

Hello, everybody,
Excuse my English, it's translated.

So as not to open another thread on this same subject. I must say that just like "jamescomp" I am disappointed with the behavior of the App. I don't know if it was since the last update since iOS 11.

I work for a company, and sometimes I don't know what to answer to my boss for my slowness in turning in my work or even worse still say "I can't!"

It is blocked or frozen in many actions. I can't select by color or similar actions, I can't liquify, problems importing new photos, problems with layers and masks.

Anyway, I think I should wait for a quick update or sadly change Software.

Work on iPad Pro 12" with all the latest updates. I didn't buy the Mac version, because here in the forum I was told that it has absolutely all the same functions. Today I would have preferred the Mac version, but I can't afford to buy the same software twice.

I hope you can help us.
Thank you very much.

As a follow up to my earlier post and Miltren’s observations, all was working well with the app till around the same time I did an iOS update about two updates ago, I think iOS 11.1.1.  Progressively worse from there on.

Another follow up.  After reading some other bug reports in the forum, in particular subraumpixel of sept.22, my crashes when trying to save to camera roll were the result of permissions when updating iOS.  Once that was fixed my other crash issues seem to be resolved for the moment.  I can get back to work and experience stress of the good kind.  Thanks forum!

On 11/18/2017 at 4:49 AM, adrianlambert said:

Saving a copy of 16bit files from a canon 5ds to an iPad folder in the  iOS files app seems to only work 50% of the time. I repeated get a never ending spinner saying Save a Copy but nothing happens. Also this process - or the need to force quit the app has left one of my images that I'd edited in the app unreadable by the app.

Also having the saving issue. Just says choose a location then freezes

A couple more updates.

1. My save problem was simply the result of having not allowed Affinity to access photos/camera roll when I did the most recent iOS update.  That got resolved.

2. I was still having a massive problem with a particular file which would constantly crash and freeze with the simplest of actions.  With further experimentation with the file I discovered that it was not actually "freezing" but rather taking a very long time to process and finish a task.  Merging a layer would sometimes take up to 15minutes, ouch!  Closing the file would get me the spinning wheel and take up to 20minutes to finish.  The crashing may have been me being impatient and pushing too many buttons.

After doing a step by step process of elimination, I discovered that the problem in the file were three masked layers (from selections).  I eliminated those layers (after saving to the cloud) closed the file, restarted the program and voila, everything works like a charm now, go figure.  Have abandoned doing masked layers for now and doing just selection/duplicate layer in the meantime.  Since I’m behind in my work, I haven’t yet tried to duplicate doing a masked layer from selection to see wtf I did wrong in the first place, too exhausted for now.  Maybe a kind soul out there can help us.

Hi everyone.

For those of you still struggling, can I first of all suggest that you send a request to sign up to the beta as some significant improvements have been made. You can see a changelist here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/50871-affinity-photo-beta-for-ipad-167-beta-1/

You can request a beta signup here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41764-affinity-photo-for-ipad-customer-beta/

@jamescomp - I'm glad you figured out one of your issues (and thanks for letting us know). 
@Miltrin - I would definitely encourage you to try the beta after requesting to participate as your issue sounds more like something that may have been fixed in said beta. If you do grab the beta and you are still having issues, can you send me one of your affected files (make sure you save it with History) so we can take a look. 

I’m interested in the beta program but have a question. Does the beta run alongside the current version or overwrite the current version?.... I would need to backup all my affinity files I’m working on to protect them!

For the iPad, we can only have one version installed at a time and the app is installed via TestFlight. You won't lose any of the files but there's no harm in backing them up. They just won't be on the Home screen when you install the beta or reinstall the Store version—you can even use the new Files feature if you wanted to.

59 minutes ago, Miltrin said:

@Chris B - Thank you very much for your answer. I will try to install the Beta version, since I have never done so. Is there a tutorial?

I don't have a tutorial but you just need to download TestFlight from the App Store once you have requested to participate. When you get added to the list you will see Affinity Photo appear under Apps down the left side of TestFlight. 

Hey ReO2,

I'm not sure to be honest. I've had people report back the same day they have been accepted but I've also had it take a couple of days. We can only have so many users so development have to remove some people who haven't participated in a while. If nothing happens in the next few hours I'll contact dev.

Grrrrr... no news yet! I use the iPad version every day and I’m really looking forward to trying it with some of those improvements