telecasterdave

Mangled Font Issue - PDF Export

Two of us in the studio are running Affinity Designer 1.6 (latest update) on Mac OSSierra but seeing identical PDF issue when exporting. 

1. New and legacy AFDesign files are manifesting same behavior when we try and export PDFs (using out of the box settings)

2. Fonts appear correctly in Affinity Designer but the only way we can export files and not have the messed up files is to export Text as Curves (not ideal)

3. We're running two separate computers with local versions of all fonts.  Both computers have separately licensed versions of the software too.  Exact same behavior in terms of corrupt / malformed PDF output. 

(See attached images)

Please help — this has only appeared since 1.6 update.  We rely on AFFINITY DESIGNER for client deliverables.

Thx.

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 6.03.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 6.02.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 6.03.01 PM.png

Hi Telecasterdave,

Would you be able to attach your afdesign file you are exporting to PDF please along with a copy of the font that you are using that is getting replaced. If you don't wish to attach privately then please PM me a copy of it :).

This same garbled text issue is happening to me when trying to export as a PDF. Sierra 10.12.6, Designer 1.6, on a 2016 MBP.  I can't say when this broke, but it did used to work on Sierra and Designer.

Saving a PDF from the Print menu does work, but it doesn't embed the fonts, so this is kind of a big problem for PDFs that should be distributed to others. 

edit: I tried Affinity Photo 1.6.6 and it has the same issue (I suppose they use the same PDF code).

11 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi dogcow,
Would it be possible for you to attach your afdesign file and fonts that are being used please? I've been unable to reproduce it as of yet.

Here's a test file for you. The fonts I used are AkzidenzGrotesk Light and Roman. 

garbled.zip

On 15/12/2017 at 8:05 PM, dogcow said:

Here's a test file for you. The fonts I used are AkzidenzGrotesk Light and Roman. 

garbled.zip

Would you be able to attach those two fonts please? I want to be sure I'm using the same files as you, and I can't seem to find the exact files.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:21 AM, Sean P said:

Would you be able to attach those two fonts please? I want to be sure I'm using the same files as you, and I can't seem to find the exact files.

It's an old suitcase / Postscript Type 1 combo, so that might be where the bug lies. In fact, I just tried switching the garbled doc to use an OTF font and it exported as pdf correctly.

akzgro.zip

I'm having the same issue. It began directly after updating to High Sierra 10.13.2.  PDFs created via export from Affinity Designer were ok just before the update. Now, the exact same .afdesign files are a mess when exported and viewed in Mac Preview.  Thumbnails render correctly. Tried exporting again and same problem. Only occurs when viewed in Mac Preview. Same files render correctly in Skim, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Reader. Happening on colleagues MacBook Pro as well. Exporting other file formats to PDF  (e.g. Mac Pages, MSWord) render correctly. Appears the .afdesign files created or updated just before updating to High Sierra are having the problem. Only those areas that were edited are now rendering incorrectly.  Untouched areas render fine.  Content renders fine when exported in X-1a:2003 but can't use RGB, which is what I need.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 1.18.00 PM.png

2 hours ago, WhiteX said:

Any news with this? It happens to me all the time. Even if we could identify the problem, that would be a huge help.

It has been reported to development, but unfortunately there have been no updates from them as of yet.

Any update on this? The problem continues. BTW, this is not an Apple issue.  All other PDFs render fine. Only happens on Affinity PDFs.  Apple confirmed same. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 5.06.43 PM.png

Hi Stanbrid,

This looks like a slightly different issue to the original one reported. The reported issue was specific to fonts, however yours looks very different. Could you attach your affinity file you are exporting, your resulting PDF and a screenshot of all the PDF settings you are using please? Also what version of macOS are you using?

Hi Sean, thank you for the support. I have uploaded the Design file and PDF.  It's happening on multiple design files, but just uploaded the one here. It does not occur on newly created Designer files. Just when opening existing files. Thumbnails render correctly. Occurs in Skim and Mac Preview. Does not happen with Adobe. PDFs render a mess on coworkers Mac as well. Problem does not occurs with X-1a:2003, x-3:/2003, x-4 exports. Seemed to have started directly after updating to High Sierra 10.13.2. PDF exports were fine just before the update.

Make no mistake, still LOVE Affinity!

~IntelliSIP_for_Hospitality.afdesign

IntelliSIP for Hospitality_v03.pdf

Thanks for the files! Initially using your PDF I couldn't reproduce it - it opened fine in Preview, Skim and Acrobat. I then exported the afdesign using PDF (For Export) preset and was able to reproduce it. I'll get it passed on to development.

Stanbrid, the document uses an RGB/16 colour format, and some of the images are also 16-bit, so they get embedded in the PDF as 16-bit. This is perfectly legitimate and Acrobat and Finder preview render it correctly. It seems Preview and Skim can't cope with 16-bit images, which would be a limitation of those apps.

I don't think Affinity is doing anything wrong here. Someone who chooses 16 bits for their colour space may well want that colour depth preserved in the PDF, especially if it is for export and they want to continue working on the document in a different app. We may add an option to reduce the bit depth, as we have one to reduce the resolution, but that would be a change for a future version.

In the meantime I suggest you change your document colour format to RGB/8 before exporting.

3 hours ago, DariuszB said:

I have a similar problem on pdf export, all text is messed - with Lora regular font. Bold is ok.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Dariusz. :)

What PDF export settings did you choose, and what platform (Mac or Windows) are you using? Perhaps you could supply a text sample to copy and paste so that other users can test this.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

False alarm, I recalled I had 2 regular Lora fonts installed in the system. I was installing them couple of weeks ago and to my surprise I received info it had been already installed.

So I was to remove all occurences but managed to remove one of them and it works now.

Thanks for the update, Dariusz. I’m glad you got it sorted!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

If this can't be corrected from the software, maybe it would be beneficial to have a warning message from AD/AP during exporting that duplicate fonts were found in the document and it can cause inaccurate results.

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design