You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting brush is not working

Hello everyone. I want to use inpainting brush, I did exactly as in the tutorial but the inpainting brush is not working. It’s not “painting“ red the item I want to disappear. Also the blemising and the patch tool don’t work. Could someone help me? Thanks on behalf. 

• Staff

Hi Foxter80,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Take a look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the layers panel. Does it say Image or Pixel? If it says image you have to convert it to a pixel layer (type) to be able to edit it at a pixel level. To do this right-click the image layer on the Layers panel and select Rasterise.... You should then be able to use the Inpainting and the rest of tools you mentioned.

Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool, the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder or File Explorer to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised as described above.

If this is not the cause of the issue, make sure the Flow value in the context toolbar is not set to 0%.

12 hours ago, Foxter80 said:

Hello everyone. I want to use inpainting brush, I did exactly as in the tutorial but the inpainting brush is not working. It’s not “painting“ red the item I want to disappear. Also the blemising and the patch tool don’t work. Could someone help me? Thanks on behalf. 

Hi Foxter80

I am new to AP myself however I hope this helps you .

I have never used Rasterise .. but to find it you can check that screen shot .

I hope it can help you

For blemish you can check the second screenshot. I have marked them stepwise . Once you reach step 4. Tap on develop option at the bottom.

27D175B1-E3FD-4CD0-BB64-42163DACC4EE.jpeg

8DACE0C1-F902-4644-9806-BAA7CF080617.jpeg

8 hours ago, Foxter80 said:

Hello MEB, thank you for your answer! I can’t find it.. can you look at the picture and tell me where it is? I d really apriciate it. 

Your screenshot shows that the Background layer is already a pixel layer, but you have an adjustment layer selected. You need to select/highlight the Background layer in the Layers studio before you try to use the inpainting function.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Foxter80 said:

Alfred thank you. It worked!

You’re welcome. I’m glad to hear it!

4 minutes ago, Foxter80 said:

How could I  remove this hand? Inpainting brush is awful. Any idea?

I think careful cloning of the surrounding area is the best (and quite possibly the only) way.

Alfred spacer.png

The Clone Brush Tool is the one with a ‘rubber stamp’ icon. (Tap and hold the question mark icon in the bottom right-hand corner to display tooltips for all the tools.) Tap and hold at the desired point on the image to establish the clone source, and then sweep over the destination area.

Alfred spacer.png