You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] multiple cursors, custom hotkeys for styles

This (multiple cursors/carets) is nowadays a common and powerful feature for text editors (thanks to Sublime Text which made this prominent), aka when programming/coding or writing/altering web page and stylesheets etc. - However I too wonder of what usefulness this feature should be instead for magazine text contents and InDesign?

Instead this here ...

...it would be nice to be able to set custom hotkeys to paragraph and inline text-styles.

... might be general more useful.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@A_B_C

Nice! Thanks for the hint! Haven't researched properly before. That's awesome.

Regarding multiple cursors: I was editing a rather long list of paragraphs the other day which align about to that pattern: “bold-word em-space normal-text”

But I received them as “normal-text space normal-text”. With multiple cursors all along on each parapgraph I could format every paragraph in one take.

Other example:

Another Text consists of a mix of paragraphs and consecutive lists - it would be nice to set a cursor on every next paragraph via a hotkey. So one could easily format like the next 4 paragraphs in one go ....

... mh, ok - given you don't want to move your hands to the mouse. to select the text. Maybe I that was a bit too much coding lately ... 

Hi,

I made a tiny screencast - this is in a code editor. So I don't have bold - but I set some text into quotes which could be any inline format in designer/publisher. Furthermore I could add some punctuation if the text needs some structuring. This should roughly apply to any list-like / table-like texts.

I can select multiple parts of text by selecting lines while pressing alt

Or I can add a cursor a line below/above by pressing alt+cmd+up/dowm

One thing though: Here—in code—I edit multiple lines. In Texts it would make sense to set cursors at the beginnings of paragraphs.

I didn't know I'd miss it until I actually got used to it by code editing. Then back in InDesign I stumbled upon it a couple of times while editing this magazine. 9_9

mc.mov