You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

B&W bmp/png vector Auto Trace

Anyway to import a black and white (or color) bmp/png and have AD create vector art of it? Now or in a future release? The way Adobe's Auto Trace does it.

MacMini 2018 Intel 32GB, Blackmagic eGPU AMD Radeon Pro 580
Affinity Photo 2.3.1, macOS 14.3
LG Ultrawide HDR

MacBook Pro 2020 13" Intel 16GB
Affinity Photo 2.3.1, macOS 14.3

iPad Pro 2021 11" 3rd gen. M1
Affinity Photo 2.3.1, iOS 17.3.1

• Staff

Hello HumanByDesign,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Currently Affinity Designer doesn't provide auto-tracing features. This was requested a couple times already but we still have a considerable number of new features to implement until we get there. Check out our roadmap to get a better idea of what's coming next.

HumanByDesign, I'm working on a project wherein I'm trying to use ONLY non-Adobe software in the creation of a visual. In order to achieve the vector tracing from a picture file, I used Inkscape. Inkscape has a VERY powerful and oft-overlooked tracing engine built into it (it's an open source engine called "Potrace," I believe) and is my go to whenever a trace is needed. I find it to be easier to manipulate than the tracer built into Illustrator and yields a superior product.

Up until a couple of days ago, I was uncertain that the output from Potrace would reliably open in Designer. Happy to report that the PDFs and the SVG files opened well (use the latest AD beta...as of this writing, 2/16/15).

Hope this helps.

Retrograde...thanks, hope you'll get some use out of it.

Never use only one tool for everything...If you have access to different tools that each do one or two things well (ESPECIALLY if they happen to be open source), use them all together.

"How many times do I have to tell ye...the right tool for the right job!"

- Montgomery Scott

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.