Sign in to follow this  
HumanByDesign

B&W bmp/png vector Auto Trace

Hello HumanByDesign,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Currently Affinity Designer doesn't provide auto-tracing features. This was requested a couple times already but we still have a considerable number of new features to implement until we get there. Check out our roadmap to get a better idea of what's coming next.

HumanByDesign, I'm working on a project wherein I'm trying to use ONLY non-Adobe software in the creation of a visual. In order to achieve the vector tracing from a picture file, I used Inkscape. Inkscape has a VERY powerful and oft-overlooked tracing engine built into it (it's an open source engine called "Potrace," I believe) and is my go to whenever a trace is needed. I find it to be easier to manipulate than the tracer built into Illustrator and yields a superior product.

Up until a couple of days ago, I was uncertain that the output from Potrace would reliably open in Designer. Happy to report that the PDFs and the SVG files opened well (use the latest AD beta...as of this writing, 2/16/15).

Hope this helps.

Retrograde...thanks, hope you'll get some use out of it.

Never use only one tool for everything...If you have access to different tools that each do one or two things well (ESPECIALLY if they happen to be open source), use them all together.

"How many times do I have to tell ye...the right tool for the right job!"

- Montgomery Scott