Yealander

Crashing all the time

Initially impressed with the app, which I bought to do HDR merge that is not available in my Adobe Lighroom for iPad.  I even hoped I could cancel my Adobe subscription.

First couple of photos imported from Dropbox well and edited OK, if a little slow to do HDR etc.

WIth this success, I imported a days worth of photos from Dropbox  (about 30 x CR2 RAW files from Canon 5D MkIV).  Then things went very wrong.  When I opened the project with 30 odd photos the app crashed.  On resterting, I opened the project and it was OK. Then I tried to open a photo and app crashed.  Next time it crashed opening the project.  Every time, it crashed opening a file or even just opening the project.  I tried deleting photos and every 2nd photo it crashed.

Such a pittty, as this app promised so much more than the market leading Adobe range, but that no good if u cannot run it for more than 5 minutes before it crashes.

Good news is that Apple gave me my money back yesterday as I had given up on the app after 24 hours.  Bad news is I cannot find an alternaive for my iPad.  So, let me know when u can gatantee me you have a stable product and I will happily pay you 20 pounds.

Version 1.6.5

IOS 11.0.3

iPad Air 2

Regards,

John

11 hours ago, Yealander said:

Version 1.6.5

IOS 11.0.3

iPad Air 2

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Yealander. :)

Is there any particular reason why you’re still on iOS 11.0.3? I’ve been on 11.1.1 for quite a while, and I’m now being offered 11.1.2.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

12 hours ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Yealander. :)

Is there any particular reason why you’re still on iOS 11.0.3? I’ve been on 11.1.1 for quite a while, and I’m now being offered 11.1.2.

Thank you. There is no special reason why I was on 110.3., other than the apple would not offer option to upgrade until battery was more than 50% and this never happened until yesterday. Looking at the IOS release notes, I could not find anything that could explain Photo crashing, but be interested if anyone has any hard information to suggest los upgrade fixes Photo crashing every time I try to open a project or photo.

Cheers,

John

10 minutes ago, Yealander said:

Thank you. There is no special reason why I was on 110.3., other than the apple would not offer option to upgrade until battery was more than 50% and this never happened until yesterday. Looking at the IOS release notes, I could not find anything that could explain Photo crashing, but be interested if anyone has any hard information to suggest los upgrade fixes Photo crashing every time I try to open a project or photo.

Cheers,

John

You should never stay on old IOS versions, Apple Constantly fixes a large amount of security bugs. some shown here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208222

Also try out the latest AF Photo beta here, https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41764-affinity-photo-for-ipad-customer-beta/

Just a note from me to say things may be looking up WRT stability.  Time will tell, but here is what my edited review on App Store says...

Edited my review from 1 star to 3 and I hope to be back to increase this further...  My first day with this app went very badly.  After the first 24 hours, the app became unstable to the point of of crashing before I finished opening a photo.  

After getting VERY cross with Photo , I calmed down and tried for forgive it as there is simply nothing else I have found that gives me the features I am looking for in a photo app on the iPad (e.g. Adobe Lightroom for IOS did not have HDR merge and Panoramic merge).  Somwhere in the process of deleting the app, upgrading IOS, rebooting the iPad and reinstalling the app, things got better.  I have been running for several days now and Photo looks a stable. Time will tell...

I am still not as perficient in Photo as I am in Lightroom, and yet I am very impressed by Photo’s capabilites.  My Canon 5d MkIV Raw files import well from Dropbox and can be made to look stunning.

Its a Potentially a great app, but just a quesiton mark over stability holding me back over recomending it.  If Photo proves to be stable after the second time I installed it, I will update my review and up my App Store rating from 3 to 5 stars.

Version 1.6.5.  IOS 11.1.2

23 minutes ago, Yealander said:

Just a note from me to say things may be looking up WRT stability.  Time will tell, but here is what my edited review on App Store says...

Edited my review from 1 star to 3 and I hope to be back to increase this further...  My first day with this app went very badly.  After the first 24 hours, the app became unstable to the point of of crashing before I finished opening a photo.  

After getting VERY cross with Photo , I calmed down and tried for forgive it as there is simply nothing else I have found that gives me the features I am looking for in a photo app on the iPad (e.g. Adobe Lightroom for IOS did not have HDR merge and Panoramic merge).  Somwhere in the process of deleting the app, upgrading IOS, rebooting the iPad and reinstalling the app, things got better.  I have been running for several days now and Photo looks a stable. Time will tell...

I am still not as perficient in Photo as I am in Lightroom, and yet I am very impressed by Photo’s capabilites.  My Canon 5d MkIV Raw files import well from Dropbox and can be made to look stunning.

Its a Potentially a great app, but just a quesiton mark over stability holding me back over recomending it.  If Photo proves to be stable after the second time I installed it, I will update my review and up my App Store rating from 3 to 5 stars.

Version 1.6.5.  IOS 11.1.2

Try the latest beta, some large improvements.

Changes this version.

- Brand new shadows / highlights algorithm in Develop.
- Brand new clarity algorithm in Develop.
- Can now open / edit files in place - directly from the Files app.
- New “Solo” layer option in layer properties panel.
- New preferences option to show touches - good for screen recording.
- Improved iOS11 drag & drop support.
- Can now rotate image in Develop.
- Pasting now keeps things in the right place.
- Maximum / minimum filters now obey the current channels properly.
- Brush scatter works properly when controller is “random”.
- Improved angle / tilt support for Apple Pencil.
- Handle vertical panoramas better.
- Fixed some HDR merge crashes.
- Fixed multiply blend mode in 32bit documents.
- Improved crop tool behaviour when using ratios.
- Improved retouching tools in 32bit mode.
- Fixed issues with “Direction” brush controller.
- Improvements to selection refinement.
- Improved TIFF support.
- PSD export improvements.
- Channels page improvements / fixes.
- “Save a copy” stability improvements.
- Ability to clear history (hopefully will help some people who encounter crashes when trying to return to the home screen).
- New “Constrain” modifier button for Depth of Field tool.
- Snapping candidates can now be selected by hovering over them whilst in a drag.
- All other relevant fixes from 1.6.6 desktop version.
- Help improvements.
- Localisation improvements.

Thanks for suggestion.  Now it is stable enough to use, I can see value of product and so have requested to be put on beta list.  Several things in the list interest me as they address niggles I still have.  Probably the main one being shadow / highlight algorithm which does not do what I want in AP (I want it to do someting similar to Lightroom). 

Cheers,

John