You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have set my Artboards to 1280 x 800 pixels the same as my screen resolution and 300 dpi for images. I want the images to be able to scale up without loss of resolution.

unfortunately the pdf document in preview is smaller than that at 1:1 Ideally i want the document to still look good on a retina display with the fonts scaled in proportion to the display size. 

I guess i'm doing something wrong but I haven't a clue what it is. 

my original artboards were 6400 x 4000 and i used the convert to object to rescale them  and then used the object to artboard command to get them back. 

my objects didn't appear to scale with the artboard if i resized them any other way. 

hope someone can help 

cheers

john 

I get a 'filetype unsupported' error when I try to open your test.afdesign file. What version of Affinity Designer did you use to create it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

36 minutes ago, blackest said:

A simple project  the resolution of the pdf is according to info  307 × 192  it was in AD 1280 x 800 

test.afdesign

test.pdf

In my PDF viewer (PDF-XChange Editor) the image is 108.4mm by 67.7mm, which is correct for a 1280px by 800px image at 300dpi.

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I get a 'filetype unsupported' error when I try to open your test.afdesign file. What version of Affinity Designer did you use to create it?

I get 'The file type is not supported' in AD on Windows, build 1.6.1.93.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

47 minutes ago, blackest said:

... the resolution of the pdf is according to info  307 × 192  it was in AD 1280 x 800 

I get the same 307 x 192 numbers for the pdf using Finder's 'Get Info' but I believe that is due to a bug in OS X that shows the dimensions of the thumbnails instead of the document. In the Mac Preview.app, the page size is shown as 4.27 × 2.67 inches. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

29 minutes ago, owenr said:

Possibly, Finder is telling us the resolution of the image that would result from rendering the PDF at 72 ppi.

I just realized that for other raster file types like jpg, png, or gif the Finder "Info" window has a "Dimensions:" item in the More info section, but for pdf files it has a "Resolution:" item instead. For PDF's that contain a single raster graphic element, this seems to correlate well to its pixel dimensions, but for more complex PDF's like multi-page ones or ones that contain a mix of object types, I am not sure what it means. 

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

version 1.6.0 on the Mac

I'm attaching a screen shot of the file in preview at 1:1 view as you can see clearly its nothing close to 1280 by 800

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 19.10.29.png

Edited by blackest
screen shot

Just now, blackest said:

version 1.6.0 on the Mac

That is the same version I use. If you download your test.afdesign file from this page, can you open that in Affinity Designer 1.6.0 on your Mac?

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That is the same version I use. If you download your test.afdesign file from this page, can you open that in Affinity Designer 1.6.0 on your Mac?

Sorry the upload was F..  corrupted  was 20MB short i'm re uploading it but its slow 

To be fair its quicker to create a new afdesign file 

create a 6400 by 4000 artboard add a rectangle 4800,3200px with a 4pt border aligned to the inside and scaleable. color ffcc00 (Nat geo yellow) aligned centre horizontal and aligned to the right border insert a photo from the media browser and drag into the rectangle using the layer panel size to taste. select the artboard and set the color black.  

Try resize the artboard from transform panel with the link on e.g change 4000 to 800 and the width should go to 1280. 

unfortunately the contents dont scale so cmd z and transform artboard to object shift select the contents and this time it should scale.

when i did it previously there was no option to resize the document maybe because i started with a pdf 

anyway the first time i exported i still had a large blank document in the corner so i went back to 6400 x 4000 and scaled the document in document setup to 1280 by 800 . 

exported the pdf again and this time everything was document sized but not 1280 by 800 much smaller. 

found this thread 

What size for say 800px by 800px in points?

(Matt)

It'll be 800x800 points... you just need to decide what dpi you needed. The idea is to think of points not pixels, then decide on a dpi that you require. For 1x assets, that's usually 72dpi (800x800 pixels), for 2x it's 144dpi (1600x1600 pixels) and for 3x it's 216dpi (2400x2400 pixels), but you can obviously decide on any value that's appropriate.

If we're talking about Designer, then 800 points at any dpi will occupy 800 points on your screen at 100% in the standard vector view mode. The number of pixels that are in this document will vary based on the dpi, but this is the bit that you shouldn't need to think about - just aim for the right number of points at the right dpi and then everything will make sense.

:)

Incidentally, for anyone that is interested, this is actually how you have to program for OS X and iOS - you use points as the unit type (not pixels) and you pass in bitmap data that has sufficient pixel resolution for the number of points multiplied by the 'backing scale' (2x for 'retina')

Ok having looked at the other thread which suggested sizing at 1440 x 900 points  and the pdf exported at 1440 x 900 (no units) according to info and thats a bit bigger than my macbook screen at 1280 x 800

1280 by 800 still seems big but thats with 300 dpi ... 

test.afdesign.zip

I've added some text to the pdf is it readable on your screen size? Its 14pt Dosis 

test4.pdf

Edited by blackest
add a file

4 hours ago, blackest said:

I've added some text to the pdf is it readable on your screen size?

Yes.

Affinity Photo