You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

I have just bought Affinity Photo, coming from years of Adobe products.  So I'm learning the differences, and this may be a stupid question, but when I use the eyedropper tool to get a colour, I find that it puts the selected colour in the colour panel, but it also sets the fill colour of the image, and the whole image changes to a monotone image.  All I want to do is get the hex value from the selected pixels without altering the image.  If I de-select "Apply to selection" it doesn't change the image, but nor does it populate the hex value field.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

You can use the Info Panel (View>Studio>Info if it is not open) for this but annoyingly you cannot copy the sampled color value it displays to the clipboard. To change a sampler to display RGB Hex values click on the half filled circle & choose that from the popup menu:

5a155d4fc4c91_Infopanel.png.7fb6019f8f7d4f5dc1653905495b37f7.png

You can drag the target icon out into the image to set a static sample point; click on the arrow icon to return to dynamic sampling from the pointer's position.

To copy a RGB Hex value to the clipboard is more complicated:

1. Put the sampled color in the small color well next to the eye dropper icon in the Colors panel.

2. Click on the small color well to set the active large color well to that color. (It does not matter which of the larger ones is active.)

3. Click on the Color panel 'hamburger' icon & select that option:

5a1564d2ceb6d_colorpanelmenu.png.66ba13e5ba92445d995c0ee93e94a6fb.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks both of you!

@DWright - It doesn't seem to make a difference, I can even go to Select->Deselect and still it seems to convert the image to a monotone image based on the colour picked by the eyedropper tool.  I have to uncheck the "Apply to Selection" in order to for not to do this.

@R C-R - Thank you! I think that can work for me.  I like the "Copy Color to Clipboard as Hex option".  

• Staff

Hi Daybo,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The menu Select ▸ Deselect only deselects pixel selections, not objects/layers. To deselect objects/layers press ESC (currently not working due to a bug on Mac at least) or click anywhere outside the canvas or on an empty space. If you do so as DWright suggested it will work as you want.

7 hours ago, Daybo said:

Hi All,

I have just bought Affinity Photo, coming from years of Adobe products.  So I'm learning the differences, and this may be a stupid question, but when I use the eyedropper tool to get a colour, I find that it puts the selected colour in the colour panel, but it also sets the fill colour of the image, and the whole image changes to a monotone image.  All I want to do is get the hex value from the selected pixels without altering the image.  If I de-select "Apply to selection" it doesn't change the image, but nor does it populate the hex value field.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

As for the Monotone bit, Is the Eyedropper Source set to Current Layer instead of Global by any chance  ?

global.png.b05fdd6475eb333b376e28d960e2236b.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Daybo,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The menu Select ▸ Deselect only deselects pixel selections, not objects/layers. To deselect objects/layers press ESC (currently not working due to a bug) or click anywhere outside the canvas or on an empty space. If you do so as DWright suggested it will work as you want.

Thank you, that seems to have been my problem -  I had the layer selected.  After deselecting the layer it did indeed work as described.

Apologies for such a newbie question.