You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select entire Group directly on canvas?

• Staff

Hi cmyk,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Not sure i understood your question. Clicking (once) on a group on canvas should select the whole group. Double-clicking on any item contained in a group will enter the group and select the item you have clicked on (to select other objects from the group you are already within you only have to single-click them). Let me know if i haven't addressed your question properly.

I think what the OP probably means is, that if you draw a selection rectangle with the move tool around objects it's only selecting the top layer object here then (?).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

If that's the case, dragging a selection marquee around the whole group(s) should select them. ⇧ (shift)-clicking groups will add also add them to the selection.

To select multiple groups (or objects) intersecting the selection marquee (without enclosing them) press ⌃(ctrl) while drawing the selection marquee - this can also be set as the default behaviour in Affinity Preferences, Tools section ticking Select object when intersects with selection marquee.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

pressing ⌃(ctrl) will select all object touched by the selection marquee.

Not on a PC it wont. Remember, PC users have feelings too ;)

PC users need to use the left and right mouse button. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.