You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

False color values in documents using different color profiles

Well, I need a clou here if I‘m just overlooking something or it is just currently not possible :)

I made two different documents in Designer on my iMac:
1) CMYK with the Generic CMYK profile
2) CMYK und the ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)

Now, for example, if I create a red object with 100M 100Y in the Generic document and it looks like it should. If I copy it and paste it into the ISO Coated document it converts the color appropriate to the other profile: for now 2C 95M 83Y 6K and looks surely different.

In other programms like Illustrator, ... I have the option to paste with converting into the profile or use the color values – and that is what I am missing. It just converts every time to the profile instead to use the correct values or even giving me the choice.

If I place the Generic document (with the place command) into the ISO Coated document and double click the now embedded object, it opens and show me correct the 100M 100Y values inside the ISO Coated document. It correctly converts only if I export it to PDF with the document profile.

I can switch the profile in the document prefs and select asign or convert, but all things pasted via the clipboard get always converted. Ist there an option the preserve the values?

Thanks for any help in advance. :-)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

• Staff

There is no option to preserve the CMYK values when you paste from a different profile as it will be automatically converted to the new profile. this do not happen when you use the place command as the embedded object is separate to the document it is placed in until you export the document and then the profile is applied.

You can post this as a feature request 

Thanks for the information, although it unfortunately doesn't solve my problem. I will request this as a feature.

But I'm wondering how I should handle it best if I have different documents with different elements which I use for new projects and they had different profiles before - I can't embedd every object and it is to much work to recolor the objects correctly, to much room for forgetting an element ... any help here or is there no workaround? How does anyone out there handle this with different print partners/papers for example?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6