You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there, 

I just purchased affinity and imported RAW (CR2) files but it looks like Affinity doesn't support it. The images displayed on Affinity are pinkish in colour. 

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Canon 6D Mark II I had recently bought.  I wouldn't think it's the SD card because that would save what type of files we select.  There's no issues importing jpeg files.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

• Staff

Hi Nick Trieu,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

[EDITED ]This camera is only supported in Affinity Photo for Mac on macOS High Sierra when using the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine. Windows users and Mac users running old versions of macOS will have to wait a little until we add support for it in a future version/update.

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

... nor Apple's one (Core Image RAW). You will have to wait a little until either us or Apple add support for it...

Though it's listed among the Apple supported RAW formats by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, look here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@MEBMaybe can't tell/test since I run an older OSX version. - Beside that being first at all a Nikonian and thus shoot or try out seldom newer/actual Canon models.

@Nick Trieu

3 hours ago, Nick Trieu said:

...I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Canon 6D Mark II I had recently bought.  I wouldn't think it's the SD card because that would save what type of files we select.  There's no issues importing jpeg files...

It may be as MEB suggested, that even the actual MacOS HighSierra version doesn't support your cams RAW files yet. - However, in order to check that your cam and it's sd card are overall operating Ok, try to open and convert some RAWs instead with Canons supplied RAW software here, or some other RAW converter, which already supports your cams RAW format. So you afterwards will know if everything is fine with your cam and the used sd card type!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, Nick Trieu said:

... Is there a link in Canon website I can download a converter?

The most recent version of Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) is 4.7.20 and it will open your 6D Mark II cr2 raw files fine.

You can download DPP here:
https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-6d-mark-ii.aspx?type=software&softwaredetailid=tcm:14-1622062

Then if you click on the 'Manuals' section, you can download the DPP manual:
https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-6d-mark-ii.aspx?type=manuals&language=

BTW for Windows beside Canons own DPP there is also the actual Raw Therapee v.5.3 Windows version (download this here: RT 5.3 for Windows Vista/7/8/10 64-bit), which should now support your 6D Mark II too here.

• Staff

Hi all,

I would like to make a correction: the Canon 6D Mark II is in fact supported on Affinity Photo for Mac and iPad (on macOS High Sierra and iOS11) when using the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine  I was a little tired yesterday and didn't realise i've checked it on the wrong system (using macOS Sierra). My apologies for the mistake.

Since Affinity Photo for Windows doesn't have the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine, Windows users will have to wait until we add support for this camera on this OS.

Note: previous posts edited to prevent spreading incorrect information.

• 2 weeks later...

You can switch between the RAW Engines on the Mac version by first opening a RAW image then going to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and changing the engine from the drop down. - NOTE: that you have probably to re-load the image again for the new setting then to take effect!

Disadvantages, no not really they are just different in some cam preset aspects.

• Staff

Hi mos063,

To change from one RAW engine to the other open a RAW image, go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager and select the engine you want to use from the first dropdown (RAW Engine). You have to close and reopen the image again to use the new setting/engine.

There's no disadvantages per si. It's just a choice you have. Each engine process/convert the RAW in a slightly different way which leads to (marginally) different results.

When using the Serif Labs engine you have a couple additional settings available: apply or not Noise Reduction and Lens Correction - on the same Assistant Manager dialog; Apple (Core Image RAW) will perform both automatically. We also don't crop the data that the camera manufacturers consider unreliable leaving it for the user to decide - which means the dimensions of the images processed by our engine are slightly larger than the ones processed with other engines (including Apple Core Image RAW).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, rafaeldrumond said:

Is there any support yet for Windows?

Yes, been using it for sometime with my Canon RAW files (CR2).

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 1/18/2019 at 1:13 AM, Ron P. said:

Yes, been using it for sometime with my Canon RAW files (CR2).

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. My problem is that when I open with DPP I get the image correctly, but when I open with affinity it seems some of the colors are off. Here's an example of the same picture open in Canon DPP and on Affinity photo.

Am I doing something wrong or does the Canon SL2 (200D) have any incompatibility issue?

Thanks in advance.

example.png

13 hours ago, rafaeldrumond said:

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. My problem is that when I open with DPP I get the image correctly, but when I open with affinity it seems some of the colors are off. Here's an example of the same picture open in Canon DPP and on Affinity photo.

Am I doing something wrong or does the Canon SL2 (200D) have any incompatibility issue?

Thanks in advance.

I play around using Affinity Photo to develop some RAW files, just to see how it performs. I also don't use DPP much at all, however it will give you the most accurate results. I use Lightroom to develop my RAW files. If there's further processing, like removing objects, or stylizing, I'll use Affinity Photo for that.  Unless you have Exposure Bias and Tone Curve checked in the Develop Assistant, a RAW file will appear flat. You can try switching them on and see if that's where you want to start.

There is a customer beta of the next update available. You might try it and see if you get better results. Affinity Customer Beta 1.7 for Windows

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

There is a public beta of the next update available.

Customer beta, not a public beta.

It will only run if one has purchased an earlier version of Photo. (A public beta, like for Publisher, doesn't require any prior purchase.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Customer beta, not a public beta.

It will only run if one has purchased an earlier version of Photo. (A public beta, like for Publisher, doesn't require any prior purchase.)

Oops, corrected it in my post. Thanks Walt.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:46 AM, Ron P. said:

I play around using Affinity Photo to develop some RAW files, just to see how it performs. I also don't use DPP much at all, however it will give you the most accurate results. I use Lightroom to develop my RAW files. If there's further processing, like removing objects, or stylizing, I'll use Affinity Photo for that.  Unless you have Exposure Bias and Tone Curve checked in the Develop Assistant, a RAW file will appear flat. You can try switching them on and see if that's where you want to start.

There is a customer beta of the next update available. You might try it and see if you get better results. Affinity Customer Beta 1.7 for Windows

Just a quick update:

With the Tone Curve and Exposure Bias, I get a small improvement (not 100%), but the beta certainly fixed some major bug or added support to the SL2. Just a small comparison.

example2.thumb.jpg.de5a96edf8b6767f2123a5c3ed12f31a.jpg