You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Shortcut to show/hide a layer

Hi

I'm looking for a shortcut to show / hide a layer. Untill now, if I want to see the adjustment I've done, I use to check/uncheck the layer. But I also often missclick.

So as it's difficult to keep an eye on the checkbox and the other on my image, I think a shortcut could be usefull.

If it already exists, can someoine tell me where I can find it ?

19 minutes ago, Djoule said:

It's not exactly the shortcut I wanted but yours works fine.

It's more of a work-a-round as there isn't an option in the keyboard shortcut preferences to assign a shortcut key to toggle layer visibility on/off at the moment.  If some of your layers have opacities that aren't 100%, then obviously this work-a-round won't help and you'll need to resort back to using the check boxes in those cases.

29 minutes ago, Sima said:

If some of your layers have opacities that aren't 100%, then obviously this work-a-round won't help and you'll need to resort back to using the check boxes in those cases.

Right, I did'nt think about that. Something to be careful.

The Show All command (control + command + H) on Mac, will show all the hidden layers (and objects as well) in Photo but it doesn't appear that the "Hide" command that is found in Designer is turned on for Photo so there doesn't seem to be a quick way of hiding in Photo yet.

I hope that helps,

Hokusai 

On 22/11/2017 at 7:43 AM, Hokusai said:

The Show All command (control + command + H) on Mac, will show all the hidden layers (and objects as well) in Photo but it doesn't appear that the "Hide" command that is found in Designer is turned on for Photo so there doesn't seem to be a quick way of hiding in Photo yet.

I hope that helps,

Hokusai 

Hi Hokusai

I noticed the Show All command, but as there isn't a Hide all command, i'll keep the opacity method for the moment.

I hope devs will implement a short cut on a futur release

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Still a good shortcut to add to the bunch, Serif 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Another bump for this. I find the scroll bar always gets in the way of the Hide/show layer check box on mac.

Having a short cut to hide layers would be so useful and speed up work flow imo! :D

EDIT: Never mind, I just found the hide layer option! XD

Edited by Huhucow

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2017 at 11:37 PM, - S - said:

With the View Tool or Move Tool selected (not a brush tool), you can use the layer opacity shortcut keys to quickly hide/show selected layers.

Press 0 (zero) twice quickly to hide the selected layers (0% opacity)
Press 0 (zero) once to unhide them (100% opacity)

This works. It is a working solution, but its far from ideal. As others have said, hiding layers this way obscures which layers are visible and not in the Layers panel. I much prefer to show / hide the layers via the built-in show / hide function which updates the dot next to the layer to represent what state each layer is in, and preserves what opacity you have each layer set to.

The devs are so close now. They have a 'Hide layer' shortcut, and separately a 'Show layer' shortcut setting, but why are they not the same shortcut as a toggle? It should be the same shortcut setting - so you press it and it toggles the state between hide and show. That's how it is in PS and its far better that way. Reduces the amount of shortcuts you need to remember, and is easier to toggle quickly.

Please combine 'Hide' and 'Show' into a single toggling 'Hide/Show' layer shortcut. Please.

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, jschwalbe said:

What is the shortcut? I see a menu command but it's not assigned a shortcut as far as I know! Thanks

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If the Menu doesn't show a shortcut, then probably one isn't assigned by default. You should then be able to assign your own through the application's Settings (or Preferences), Shortcuts. Specify the Persona at the top of the dialog, then the Menu, then scroll down to set a shortcut.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1