You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raw images on photos app

I am very much new to Affinity photo. Currently running this on my iPad Pro . I have noticed that when I load a RAW(.cr2) photo from the photos app of the iPad , Affinity Photo loads it similar to a jpeg ( develop tab doesn’t load up at start ). However when I try to import from iCloud Drive then Affinity photo loads it as a proper raw file ( the develop tab loads up on its own ).  Is it me or it’s an issue which is being worked upon by the developer ?

I apologise if a similar topic as been raised earlier but as I am not aware I started this one .

On 11/21/2017 at 11:51 AM, charleston said:

I am very much new to Affinity photo. Currently running this on my iPad Pro . I have noticed that when I load a RAW(.cr2) photo from the photos app of the iPad , Affinity Photo loads it similar to a jpeg ( develop tab doesn’t load up at start ). However when I try to import from iCloud Drive then Affinity photo loads it as a proper raw file ( the develop tab loads up on its own ).  Is it me or it’s an issue which is being worked upon by the developer ?

I apologise if a similar topic as been raised earlier but as I am not aware I started this one .

I would like to chime in here. Exactly the same problem with Olympus Raw Files accessed through the Photos option in Affinity for iPad. This opens up the embedded jpeg. If accessed through iCloud drive the RAW file will open as intended. Makes editing on the iPad a little tedious.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to use the camera connection kit or use a lightening to USB from Apple to connect direct to your camera to successfully import raw files to photos.

What is happening is that your raw photos are being imported into the photos app as jpegs, even if they don't exist as jpegs on your camera !. Don't go via iTunes, pretty sure that won't work either, and currently WiFi camera access at least on my Canon 1300D does not support RAW import and does an automatic conversion to jpeg. 

When you import from photos, your raw files will be marked as RAW on each file, if you do not see the word RAW then you have not successfully imported your photos in RAW format.

C114E728-4FDB-47DB-AEE2-D70AAE80D4F7.jpeg

F9F3D7F2-020F-4CC5-BF2C-6A488308DF7B.jpeg

Edited by PMudditt
Photos added

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

14 hours ago, PMudditt said:

You need to use the camera connection kit or use a lightening to USB from Apple to connect direct to your camera to successfully import raw files to photos.

What is happening is that your raw photos are being imported into the photos app as jpegs, even if they don't exist as jpegs on your camera !. Don't go via iTunes, pretty sure that won't work either, and currently WiFi camera access at least on my Canon 1300D does not support RAW import and does an automatic conversion to jpeg. 

When you import from photos, your raw files will be marked as RAW on each file, if you do not see the word RAW then you have not successfully imported your photos in RAW format.

C114E728-4FDB-47DB-AEE2-D70AAE80D4F7.jpeg

F9F3D7F2-020F-4CC5-BF2C-6A488308DF7B.jpeg

Even I am using a 1300D. Thanks for conforming the issue that I am facing .I am now using a lightning to USB device to transfer photos. As long as it provides a way to bypass the issue it’s fine. Otherwise using the iCloud Drive for every photo is really tedious .