You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas dimension limits different for AD vs. AP?

I was playing around creating very large dimension documents in Affinity Designer & discovered that there is a 256000 px limit on the width & height dimensions it will accept. To my surprise, I discovered that I could exceed that limit in Affinity Photo -- at one point I even entered 2560000 px for both dimensions (!!) & although 'Zoom to fit' no longer worked & there were a few other oddities, it was still usable in AP.

I could even use 'Edit in Designer' to open these file in that app. For modest (relatively speaking) oversized documents (like say 320K px square) this also worked. For the mega jumbo 2560000 px version doing this sent my poor 8 GB iMac into memory pressure hell & resulted in everything slowing down to a crawl (like several minutes just to switch to Finder or Activity Monitor) while AD attempted to load the file passed to it. The mega jumbo.afphoto file is attached for the developers to check if they want but I do not recommend users opening it unless maybe they have a system with much more than 8 GB of RAM installed. It is only 14 KB & contains just 3 (very large) shapes, if you are curious about that.

Anyway, it seems to me that there should be some dimensional limit that is the same for both apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Bump. I do not suggest opening my 'mega jumbo' file, but to confirm that an issue does or does not exist, is anyone else:

1. Able to create an Affinity Designer document with a width or height dimension greater than 256000 px?

2. Unable to create an Affinity Photo document with a width or height dimension greater than 256000 px?

Thanks.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, dutchshader said:

mega jumbo file does not open in photo, photo just shuts down.

in both apps i can create ducuments of 256000px not larger.

Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder if this is a Mac only issue?

Affinity Photo 

38 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Same here on Mac - I can't create a New Document larger than 256000px X 256000px in both apps.

What version of Affinity Photo & what Mac OS version are you using? Are you able to open my 'mega jumbo' AP file?

I will check again shortly for both 1.6.6 & the 1.6.7 beta but I am just wondering why I could create > 256K px documents in AP 1.6.6 & open them in the beta or AD 1.6.0 without anything crashing.

EDIT: The 1.6.7 beta will not allow me to create > 256K px documents but it will (eventually) open my 'mega jumbo' file without crashing. VM memory use shoots up to >16GB (more than twice the installed RAM). When closing that document or attempting to quit the app memory use slowly declines to about 13GB before anything will close. I can also open it in AD 1.6.0 with similar behavior.

After restarting my iMac, I can no longer create > 256K px documents in AP 1.6.6 either, so I guess there was just something wonky somewhere that allowed me to create the mega jumbo file. So this problem is resolved, somehow. O.o

Affinity Photo