VanHeber

Thumbnail not displayed on OnDrive Folder

I presume you mean OneDrive, in which case it works OK here. You need to make sure that the icons are set to medium-sized or larger.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Hey VanHeber,

I'm just confirming what Alfred has said. If you're using Details, List or Small icons from the View tab you won't see the thumbnail.

If you're using Medium or Large and you still cannot see them, do you see other thumbnails for non-Affinity files? Can you provide a screenshot? 

Hey VanHeber,

Okay, can you try a couple of things for me please?

1. As a test, try uploading a jpg and an afphoto and an afdesign file (1 of each) to OneDrive through the web browser as opposed to the folder in Windows. I believe this may be an EXIF issue but I'd like clarification. 
  2. If Step 1 fails, can you change the default program for jpg's back to Photos to see if it displays correctly

Thanks

Hi, step 1 fails! After Sync the file don´t display any thumbnail.

2. Change to default foto app from windows changes the icon, but not display thumbnail too.

This reported issue is after windows 10 fall creator update and latest onedrive update.

Thanks a lot!

I confirm the behaviour. I also made the association with an Office 365-related update and did the following test: I copied the same file from a OneDrive-synchronised folder to a local folder. result: in the OneDrive folder, only the program icon is displayed. Microsoft added an overlay to show the sync status (green dot when the fie is synchronised). The same file in a local folder displays the thumbnail as expected. So the culprit is very likely Microsoft manipulating the file Explorer to display OneDrive information.

Attached screenshot of the same file in both locations.

Note that other picture formats (JPG, PNG...) still work fine with OneDrive. The issue affects ALL Serif programs, also Designer, and the older Draw Plus.

Regards,

Jean Gerrekens

Local_Only.PNG

OneDrive_Sync.PNG

I have the latest versions of Win 10, Office 365, and OneDrive, icons for Affinity files, Photo or Designer are displayed correctly under OneDrive folders. RW2 RAW files display the large Affinity Purple Logo in any folder, OD or not.

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Strange indeed. Others in this forum noticed the same behaviour. More: when I drag a file to a OneDrive folder, the thumbnail is displayed while OneDrive is synchronising (animated blue arrows). When sync is complete, the symbol turns green and the thumbnail disappears, replaced by the program icon.

A quick update to this topic.

I have the same problem, running a fully updated Windows 10 Pro, and storing my files on OneDrive: no thumbnail for affinity files (be it Photo or Designer), just the generic icon. I have no problem with any other picture file formats (including PSD) stored in the same folders. 

The same Affinity files will show their thumbnails as soon as I copy them in a non-OneDrive folder.

Could it be linked to the smart sync (or whatver it is called by Microsoft) that OneDrive is using? I mean, even if all my files are fully copied in my local OneDrive folder it's the only thing that I can think of. I tried deactivating it to no effect, though.

(Edit: the same files in a OneDrive folder will work as expected when browsing them on a Mac...)

It's a real pain in the-you-know-where not being able to browse my files without having to open each one of them ;)

Edited by DavidBosman

Hi,

The issue is due to the OneDrive option "file on dmand", which was turned on by one of the latest windows updates.

Click on the OneDrive icon in the systray, go to settings and uncheck "files on demand". Your thumbnails should reappear at once.

image.png.fef6615d937540380375ea0a33c80d9c.png

9 minutes ago, Jean Gerrekens said:

Hi,

The issue is due to the OneDrive option "file on dmand", which was turned on by one of the latest windows updates.

Click on the OneDrive icon in the systray, go to settings and uncheck "files on demand". Your thumbnails should reappear at once.

The "Files on Demand" means that OneDrive won't actually download the file until you try to use it. By unticking this option, it will download all of the files to your drive.

17 minutes ago, Jean Gerrekens said:

Hi,

Alas, as I said I already asked OneDrive to download all files but it doesn't change a thing: the generic icon keeps on nagging me ;)

Plus, I don't understand why it seems Affinity files are the only one affected (be it with or without selective sync activated): OneDrive and Windows File Explorer do work fine with the others, more common, image types.

1 hour ago, DavidBosman said:

Hi,

Alas, as I said I already asked OneDrive to download all files but it doesn't change a thing: the generic icon keeps on nagging me ;)

Plus, I don't understand why it seems Affinity files are the only one affected (be it with or without selective sync activated): OneDrive and Windows File Explorer do work fine with the others, more common, image types.

"Common" file types? Chances are if they are common, OneDrive will have support for generating their thumbnails (e.g. jpeg, png, cr2, etc).

41 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

"Common" file types? Chances are if they are common, OneDrive will have support for generating their thumbnails (e.g. jpeg, png, cr2, etc).

Well, 'common' as in 'more widely used' as JPEG, PNG but also including PSD ;)

What really bugs me is that thumbnails are being ok (a bit on the small size, though) under the Finder on a Mac, even using OneDrive. But not under Windows. I know Microsoft is not catering as much to photographers as Apple can, but does that mean there is little to no chance to see Affinity's thumbnails coming back on Windows, as long as one is using OneDrive?

Thx again for your suggestions.

Just now, DavidBosman said:

Well, 'common' as in 'more widely used' as JPEG, PNG but also including PSD ;)

What really bugs me is that thumbnails are being ok (a bit on the small size, though) under the Finder on a Mac, even using OneDrive. But not under Windows. I know Microsoft is not catering as much to photographers as Apple can, but does that mean that there is little to no chance to see Affinity's thumbnails coming back on Windows, as long as one is using OneDrive?

Ah thanks, yes JPEG/PNG/PSD thumbnails will be generated by OneDrive itself I imagine. Not sure how it's working on macOS, does that do Selective Sync too?

Just now, Mark Ingram said:

Ah thanks, yes JPEG/PNG/PSD thumbnails will be generated by OneDrive itself I imagine. Not sure how it's working on macOS, does that do Selective Sync too?

Nope, it doesn't do selective on a Mac (not yet, as it's planned). That's why I considered it the main suspect ;)

Yep, that'll be why then. On the Mac it will be using our thumbnail generator.

So should one expect the same problem as soon as OneDrive is updated to do selective on the Mac too?

I hope you'll find some workaround, even if it's most probably a OneDrive problem: I can't be the only one that use thumbnails (and OneDrive) to browse files... and I doubt Microsoft will bother ;)

2 minutes ago, DavidBosman said:

So should one expect the same problem as soon as OneDrive is updated to do selective on the Mac too?

I hope you'll find some workaround, even if it's most probably a OneDrive problem: I can't be the only one that use thumbnails (and OneDrive) to browse files... and I doubt Microsoft will bother ;)

I've just done the same thing with Dropbox. I had an EXR file which I set to "Online only" and as soon as I did, the icon changed from the EXR icon to the blank document icon. 

We would need to contact Microsoft / Dropbox / Google / Apple / any other cloud provider and ask them to integrate our thumbnail generator into their service.

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've just done the same thing with Dropbox. I had an EXR file which I set to "Online only" and as soon as I did, the icon changed from the EXR icon to the blank document icon. 

We would need to contact Microsoft / Dropbox / Google / Apple / any other cloud provider and ask them to integrate our thumbnail generator into their service.

As I can't stop using OneDrive, losing the thumbnails would be problematic. To put it mildly. Is there a place where I can file a bug report? I wouldn't want to stop using Affinity for something as silly, it's an amazing app, but images without thumbnails?

5 minutes ago, DavidBosman said:

As I can't stop using OneDrive, losing the thumbnails would be problematic. To put it mildly. Is there a place where I can file a bug report? I wouldn't want to stop using Affinity for something as silly, it's an amazing app, but images without thumbnails?

Well, you can disable selective sync, but I appreciate you might not want to do that.

I'm not sure about reporting a bug, you can try Twitter? https://twitter.com/MicrosoftHelps 

Well, you can disable selective sync, but I appreciate you might not want to do that.

I'm not sure about reporting a bug, you can try Twitter? https://twitter.com/MicrosoftHelps 

I would deactivate it without hesitation, and I did try turning it off: but it didn't bring back the thumbnails. Alas.

I was thinking about reporting a bug directly to Affinity devs: I have no hope the humongous Redmond firm will bother about Affinity own file format: one just need to see how poor is their support for many widely used raw formats :(