You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Multiple pages requirement for UI/UX

I see the roadmap posted from 2014 shows multiple pages on the roadmap. Any news or update?

I currently use Omnigraffle for wireframing. AD have several attractive feature that could make it a Omnigraffle killer. Symbols, Full drawing features, Pixel preview, responsive design...

But I can't image managing and organizing projects of any significance without pages. Each screen gets its own page. Every page has layers that can be turned on for each page mode, notation, actions, data-model...

Art-boards aren't a substitute. If i flattened a whole web site into one page space, I'd have 100s of unmanageable layers.

Why Artboards or Groups aren't substitute Pages?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 month later...

It is difficult to organize non-trival projects in AD without pages. For example, I  have a website with 40 views, each with its own layers showing the base view, notes, actions, and datamodel.

But in addition to these basic layers, every page/view has custom layers to manage overlays, popovers, sliding panels, menus, special action behaviors, or  in complex views multiple data-models. If I had to flatten all layers for 1 master artboard view, I'd have 100s of layers to manage, and it wouldn't be clear which artboard view they go with. In addition, managing shared layouts with shared layers, is a very helpful concept.

Artboards are not practical solution for non-trival design projects. Artboards are nice for managing aspect ratio variants. Both pages and artboards are used to good effect in Sketch, which with omnigraffle problems own most of the UI/UX market.

• 2 months later...

taharvey you said it perfectly. this is exactly what we mean when we say we want pages. Sometimes its about a website layout. Sometimes its about multiple iterations of a single design. it could be a suite of buttons. It could be application design. it could be 12 astrological signs. It could be finger nail polish design. The need for pages is about productivity. And artboards side by side simply do not work. I like to think of them as stackable pages with elements that can be shared and or turned off or on as needed.

Adobe supposedly has a tool for creating web page layout. but it falls far short of the ways that I used fireworks. And clearly shows adobe didnt understand how fireworks was being used for productivity. 

why would I want to go into illustrator to create vectors and then have to go into another program for page layout and in neither case having the capability of stacking items to multiple pages and the ease of flipping through those pages. updating a vector and having it play across all the pages. Or turning it off for those that do not need it. It boggles the mind how no one understands how we used fireworks more efficiently and more productively than anything thats out there now.

so high five and hope anyone gets the message. Maybe take your topic and make it a POLL? but be sure to add your explanation of why artboards just do not cut the mustard.