You have to click on a layer to select it before you can rename it, so is there any benefit to a shortcut ?

Just double click on the name and select it and rename it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

mostly i'm working with hotkeys
clicking and only after getting the renaming field... that is tooo long, at least for me

You have to click on a layer to select it before you can rename it

you already answered on that question 

5 hours ago, elmanvebs said:

clicking and only after getting the renaming field... that is tooo long, at least for me

What @toltec meant was you cannot avoid clicking on a layer in the Layers panel to change the focus to its name field -- otherwise keyboard input would not be directed to the name field of the layer, so since you have to move the pointer there to do that anyway, just double-click while the pointer is there & begin typing.

In other words, there is no faster way to do this without drastic changes to the UI that would prevent other keyboard inputs including hotkey shortcuts from working.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

What @toltec meant was you cannot avoid clicking on a layer in the Layers panel to change the focus to its name field -- otherwise keyboard input would not be directed to the name field of the layer, so since you have to move the pointer there to do that anyway, just double-click while the pointer is there & begin typing.

In other words, there is no faster way to do this without drastic changes to the UI that would prevent other keyboard inputs including hotkey shortcuts from working.

yes there is no problems with that

but why there is no option just to select the layer and press on ctrl + r (cmd + r) to rename layer without clicking on it

+ in photoshop you can do that by making your own hotkey
+ sketch cmd + r
+ figma cmd + r or ctrl + r

I think the absence of this simple feature making affinity designer less effective for me
for example, I've 100+ layers and I always giving proper names to my layers, then I should select and click 100+100 times instead of just select layer press on a hotkey and start renaming

and plus I don't like the icon for grouped layers
why there is play/carret icon instead of folder icon?

1 hour ago, elmanvebs said:

but why there is no option just to select the layer and press on ctrl + r (cmd + r) to rename layer without clicking on it

If that is what you want, I suggest posting about it in the Feature Requests, Suggestions and Feedback forum. However, since you still have to select each layer you want to (re)name one at a time, I don't see how this is going to speed that process up very much if there are a lot of layers involved, particularly if there is a mix of parent & child layers.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

31 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If that is what you want, I suggest posting about it in the Feature Requests, Suggestions and Feedback forum. However, since you still have to select each layer you want to (re)name one at a time, I don't see how this is going to speed that process up very much if there are a lot of layers involved, particularly if there is a mix of parent & child layers.

yes, but if we will talk about creating a new layer and giving a name right away then will speed up process a lot from my perspective  

9 minutes ago, elmanvebs said:

yes, but if we will talk about creating a new layer and giving a name right away then will speed up process a lot from my perspective  

If we are now talking about naming newly created layers rather than renaming existing ones, then I agree that it would. But it would speed things up even more if creating a new layer automatically moved the keyboard focus to the name field without having to use a hotkey. That has already been requested by a few users.

There also have been requests for hotkeys to navigate through the Layers panel, to expand or collapse parent/child layer groups, & for just about everything else that does not currently have a definable hotkey. Some of these things would work best in combination with other features, for example to automatically open the Layers panel if it is not currently open, & to auto-scroll to the layer & auto-expand a parent layer to reveal a child one if necessary so users can always see what they are typing.

So for the developers, it isn't just about adding one or a few new hotkey customizations; it is also about which overall combination of features would benefit the most users & which ones would add unwanted complexity those in the "K.I.S.S. camp" are already complaining about. All I can suggest is to add your request to the mix & see what happens.

In case you are using macOS I found a way to rename the currently selected layer using AppleScript. This works in separated mode (Window -> Separated Mode). You can use the script by creating a new service with Automator.app. Specify that the service should receive no input only work for Affinity Designer. Once saved the script will appear under Affinity Designer -> Services. To assign a shortcut open the system preferences for keyboard.

I think you also need to allow accessibility apps to access your Mac.

tell application "System Events"
  tell process "Affinity Designer"
    tell (first window whose value of static text 1 is "Opacity:")
      perform action "AXRaise"
      tell table 1 of scroll area 1
        tell (first row whose value of attribute "AXSelected" is true)
          tell text field 1 of UI element 1
            set value of attribute "AXFocused" to true
          end tell
        end tell
      end tell
    end tell
  end tell
end tell