You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange behavior of a live-filter

I have a live-filter (clarify/clearness=??) top of all levels.

If i click this filter-layer it get a blue-frame like a normal layer. I can move/resoze this frame like in normal layer, but nothing happens.

This live filter works as global as each other (normal) clarify(clearness???) filter (i have put one below just for compairing).

In the screenshot you see also that the topmost of booth has 2 vertically stripes, the other one not.

Is this a feature? A bug? 

(Maybe THIS INSTANCES was copied/paste from a nested-source. maybe thats the reason...  i cant remember....)

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-19 um 19.10.08.png

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

13 hours ago, owenr said:

A live filter has a built in mask that is shown in the thumbnail. If there is an active pixel selection when a live filter is added to a document, the selection is stored in the mask.

Much thanks, ownr! 

In other words i could use a pixel-layer as a "frame" for a live-filter? (A "frame" with the special pixel-"shape"?????

And this "filter-frame" is then working for other pixel-layers????

Is there a video showing exactly this?

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• Staff

Hi Polygonius,

The terms you are using are not exactly correct but yes, you can do what you are thinking. Basically you can use a mask to limit/restrict the effect of the filters or adjustments over the other layers. By default when you create an adjustment of live filter their built-in masks are all white. This means that the adjustment or filter will be applied to the layer equally affecting the whole image. When working with masks white reveals the effects of the adjustment/live filter, while black conceals it. So if you select the adjustment/filter layer in the Layers panel, pick the Paint Brush Tool, select black as the colour and then paint on the canvas over the image, you will see that the areas you've painted with black will prevent the adjustment/filter from being applied/affect the image), while areas on the mask that remain in white still affect it.

Now - picking you example - if you want to use  the adjustments/filters built-in mask to "frame" their effects over an image all you have to do is to paint with white the "shape" of the frame you want.

Here's the steps:

- open an image

- apply an adjustment or filter to the image

- select the adjustment/filter in the layers panel

- go to menu Layer ▸ Invert to change the adjustment/filter built in mask from white to black - this blocks/hides the effect of the adjustment/filter over your image because all the mask is now painted in black. As i said above white reveals, black conceals.

- now pick the Paint Brush Tool, select white and paint/draw a star (or a circle or whatever you want) on the middle on the canvas - this will be the "shape" of your "frame". Note how the adjustment/filter's mask thumbnail in the Layers panel shows/reflect what you are painting. As you can see the adjustment/filter is only affecting the area you have painted in white.

Going a little further, you are not limited to paint only with black and white on an adjustment/filter's mask (or on a regular mask). You can also use grayscale values. These are translated into the strength of the filter adjustment/filter over the image: black as we saw has no "strength" (it blocks the whole effect), white lets the adjustment/filter affect the image at full "strength", a light grey lets pass almost all the effect (depending on how much close it is to white), a dark grey lets pass just a little bit (the closer to black the less the effect).