You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot exit Develop pesona (commit or cancel)

Hello,

Let's say I have a JPEG that someone gave me and I don't like the white balance. I open it in Photo and go to the Develop persona where I can adjust the white balance, which is great. And so, I make my adjustments, and Save.

Now that my work is done, I try to close the file using Ctrl-W (PC), but then a pop-up warns me that I must "Commit or cancel" before I can exit. The same warning appears if I click on, say, the Photo Persona, or even try to shut down the program entirely using Alt-F4...

Then, since I understand the meaning of "Commit", and because I indeed intend to "commit" to the changes I just made, let's just say I hit Return, which is the way one normally "commits" in Photoshop, when there is any committing to be done. Except that, in Photo, ,othing seems to happen, and when I try to close the persistent JPEG, I'm still being asked to "Commit or cancel"...

So where is the darn "Commit" button? :o)

Sorry, please read "complete" instead of "commit" above, it's "complete" that is being used in this particular case, although I think I have indeed seen "commit" in some other place.

When you are in the Develop Persona, after making any adjustments, you need to "Commit" by clicking on Develop or "Cancel" by clicking on Cancel.

dev.png.87cafc2c129f6b5d8a7350fa567e759f.png

Either will return you to the Photo Persona.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

While you can use the Develop persona for your White Balance adjustment, you can also do that from within the

5 hours ago, Dominique_R said:

Let's say I have a JPEG that someone gave me and I don't like the white balance. I open it in Photo and go to the Develop persona where I can adjust the white balance, which is great. And so, I make my adjustments, and Save.

How did you Save your work? I do not see a Save option in the Develop persona.

It might be simpler to stay in the Photo persona and perform your White Balance adjustment there, then Export. While you can use the Develop persona to do it, I believe the main intended use for the Develop persona is for handling RAW images, not JPEG.

Staying in Photo you can do the adjustments you need without that extra step of clicking Develop.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

While you can use the Develop persona for your White Balance adjustment, you can also do that from within the

How did you Save your work? I do not see a Save option in the Develop persona.

It might be simpler to stay in the Photo persona and perform your White Balance adjustment there, then Export. While you can use the Develop persona to do it, I believe the main intended use for the Develop persona is for handling RAW images, not JPEG.

Staying in Photo you can do the adjustments you need without that extra step of clicking Develop.

The white balance tool is a lot more sophisticated in the Develop Persona.

You can sample from multiple points and from an average area.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 minutes ago, Dominique_R said:

I just did Ctrl-S and it seemed to work...

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that your ctrl-s did not do a Save. I just tried that as an experiment. The on-disk copy of the file was not changed, nor was a .afphoto file created which is what should have happened if the ctrl-s worked.

In any case, "Save" would not get you a new JPEG file; you need to use Export for that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 years later...