beforeAD

How can I easily "mirror" or "reflect" an object in Affinity Designer?

I'd use FCP X if I wanted to add some funky effects, like an Intro/Outro sparkles or to add "epic man things" etc 9_9 or if I was going to make a tutorial for Youtube or Vimeo. For quick video posts to explain visually on a forum, Camtasia or ScreenFlow; which is pretty similar to Camtasia, are probably the best.

I've used Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) too and its not bad but I find that being able to record Keystrokes is a must, its one of the main reasons I use Camtasia and ScreenFlow. OBS can pseudo do it but it's a bit clumsy to enable (3rd party plugin) and its not visually that good, its a great try but having a full keyboard and mouse on screen while watching a video isn't really the way to go.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

On 4/13/2018 at 3:09 AM, firstdefence said:

why not just copy and paste then drag one side of the duplicated shape over until it snaps.

5ad081cbac8d2_mirrorashape.gif.a0e61cd5e0dc5c45b8b911b855532f42.gif

I am not getting this 'snapping' - is there something I should enable?

2 hours ago, Dr. Dave said:

I am not getting this 'snapping' - is there something I should enable?

In snapping, Make sure the options in the image below are ticked, you can have more options ticked but this is the bare minimum. 
Screen-Shot-2019-07-03-at-07-43-01.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

In snapping, Make sure the options in the image below are ticked, you can have more options ticked but this is the bare minimum. 

Got it thx. I had to drag really slow for the snapping arrows to appear.

58 minutes ago, eobet said:

I searched for mirror in the suggested forums and found nothing (only thing was this thread which has been moved to an "old suggestions" subforum).

Does this mean that Affinity Designer has a live mirror now?

How do I activate it?

(I've seen "workarounds" using "symbol definitions", but that seems rather clunky and I'd rather use the proper method.)

Have you watched the official Affinity Designer tutorial, “Symmetry and Mirror Painting?”  Perhaps that will help.  

21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.3, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3. 

Magic mouse.9_9