beforeAD

How can I easily "mirror" or "reflect" an object in Affinity Designer?

How can I easily "mirror" or "reflect" an object in Affinity Designer?

Also

In Adobe Illustrator there are many Effects (Dropdown Menu) to choose from

Adobe Illustrator > Effects > Warp > Arc

How can I choose a certain Effect in Affinity Designer

I want to Warp an object or grouped object to give it an Arc (curved) appearance ?

Thx

1. Layer > Transform > Flip Horizontally.

2. Click on the Flip Horizontal icon on the tool bar (blue and gray triangle mirrored)

Can't Warp or apply a vector Mesh distortion in AD yet. For now you can copy the element, take it into Affinity Photo Beta and apply Perspective and Mesh distortions, then copy it back into AD. NOTE: The object will now be rasterized, so make sure you start with a large enough object at the appropriate resolution.

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

MEB can you tell me if this is implimented now? because shift and arrow moving is annoying while also making sure the pixels are the correct apart even with the thing that tells you the pixel distance....

Hi Char_Zard13,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no (specific/direct) mirror tool/feature but you can use symbols to achieve a similar result (which may help in some projects depending on what you are working).

Check the attached file below: anything you draw or do inside the layer in the Left half Symbol will be replicated and mirrored on the right side and vice versa. Select one of the circles and move it  - you must select the circle object NOT the symbol layer (look at the layers panel to see what's selected) - otherwise you are moving the symbol itself not its contents. Basically the right side is just a copy of the symbol on the left flipped horizontally. This is too cumbersome as a direct approach to mirroring but works for some projects. Currently it's the only way to do it automatically.

mirror.afdesign

Here's a video tutorial covering Symbols in case you want to learn more about them: Symbols

13 hours ago, Char_Zard13 said:

MEB can you tell me if this is implimented now? because shift and arrow moving is annoying while also making sure the pixels are the correct apart even with the thing that tells you the pixel distance....

why not just copy and paste then drag one side of the duplicated shape over until it snaps.

5ad081cbac8d2_mirrorashape.gif.a0e61cd5e0dc5c45b8b911b855532f42.gif

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

19 minutes ago, MEB said:

That's basically other way to do the paste and flip suggested above. Doesn't automate/mirror in realtime which i believe is what @Char_Zard13 is referring to/requesting.

Ok, but, Why doesn't the flip tools have a flip centre, why can't you specify the flip point, there are 7 points that are options, you could use the transform panel location points or like you would with the rotation centre?

I would have thought most flipping of a created shape would be to get some sort of symmetry and adding a "moveable flip centre" would seem like a common sense addition to the flip tool.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

Hi firstdefence,

No particular reason other than it wasn't simply implemented for the first version. It's impossible to cover everything/add all possible features/options for all tools, otherwise the application would never be launched. Exactly the same that will happen with Publisher soon. There's must be a limit somewhere. Regarding added/missing functionality we have the Feature Requests section and hopefully - if time permits - we will try to cover the requests posted there (when possible/applicable).

@MEB Bless em, bet the coders fingers are going like bee's wings, I'm sure it will turn up in an update in the future, I'm quite happy to do what I do now. 

firstdefence

I'm intrigued by your mirror example upstream (posted about 11.09), which seems to just keep going.

Is it an animated GIF or something else you have posted upstream?

Or is this a feature of vector graphics - including AD - which permits such animations? How could I do something like that?

10 minutes ago, dave2017 said:

Is it an animated GIF or something else you have posted upstream?

The animation that @firstdefence posted here is indeed an animated GIF. There are a number of utilities available for the creation of such things, some free and some cross-platform. One example which is both free and cross-platform is LICEcap from Cockos Incorporated.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The animation that @firstdefence posted here is indeed an animated GIF. There are a number of utilities available for the creation of such things, some free and some cross-platform. One example which is both free and cross-platform is LICEcap from Cockos Incorporated.

Presumably looping is a feature which can be set up in the creation tool. Interesting! Thank you for this.

6 minutes ago, dave2017 said:

Presumably looping is a feature which can be set up in the creation tool. Interesting!

Some GIF creation tools allow you to control whether an aniGIF loops infinitely, or a fixed number of times, or not at all, but I think they loop infinitely by default.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

On 13-4-2018 at 0:48 PM, MEB said:

Hi firstdefence,

No particular reason other than it wasn't simply implemented for the first version. It's impossible to cover everything/add all possible features/options for all tools, otherwise the application would never be launched. Exactly the same that will happen with Publisher soon. There's must be a limit somewhere. Regarding added/missing functionality we have the Feature Requests section and hopefully - if time permits - we will try to cover the requests posted there (when possible/applicable).

Sigh,

people still wanting/think they can and will have all of the features they like in the first version?!

Look at the competiton and how many versions those took to get the features you like.

9 minutes ago, dave2017 said:

Presumably looping is a feature which can be set up in the creation tool. Interesting! Thank you for this.

Thanks for the link Alfred.

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Some GIF creation tools allow you to control whether an aniGIF loops infinitely, or a fixed number of times, or not at all, but I think they loop infinitely by default.

Photoshop can make animated gifs.

On 13-4-2018 at 11:37 AM, MEB said:

Hi Char_Zard13,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no (specific/direct) mirror tool/feature but you can use symbols to achieve a similar result (which may help in some projects depending on what you are working).

Check the attached file below: anything you draw or do inside the layer in the Left half Symbol will be replicated and mirrored on the right side and vice versa. Select one of the circles and move it  - you must select the circle object NOT the symbol layer (look at the layers panel to see what's selected) - otherwise you are moving the symbol itself not its contents. Basically the right side is just a copy of the symbol on the left flipped horizontally. This is too cumbersome as a direct approach to mirroring but works for some projects. Currently it's the only way to do it automatically.

mirror.afdesign

Here's a video tutorial covering Symbols in case you want to learn more about them: Symbols

If you want to make a really good mirror tool then have a look at this one:

https://astutegraphics.com/software/mirrorme/

This company makes excellent plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator.

I have most of them and they are all excellent.

2 minutes ago, Tourmaline said:

Photoshop can make animated gifs.

Yes, indeed. Serif’s own PhotoPlus (a Windows-only ‘legacy’ application) can make them too, but it seems that they have decided not to include any animation features in the current range of Affinity apps.

Alfred online2long.gif

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, indeed. Serif’s own PhotoPlus (a Windows-only ‘legacy’ application) can make them too, but it seems that they have decided not to include any animation features in the current range of Affinity apps.

Probably a good one as well, since it would have taken even longer to put out the beta's.

For now we can come by with other software.:D

Hi, a bit late in the discussion but I used Camtasia for Mac to record the screen and then Shared it as Gif, I can also create .MOV .MP4 files, share to youtube, google drive, screencast.com etc. I use it because that is what I used when I had windows but there are more apps like screen flow, ishowu HD, OBS and more.

Just now, firstdefence said:

Hi, a bit late in the discussion but I used Camtasia for Mac to record the screen and then Shared it as Gif, I can also create .MOV .MP4 files, share to youtube, google drive, screencast.com etc. I use it because that is what I used when I had windows but there are more apps like screen flow, showy HD, OBS and more.

Yeah, i know camtasia.

17 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Hi, a bit late in the discussion but I used Camtasia for Mac to record the screen and then Shared it as Gif, I can also create .MOV .MP4 files, share to youtube, google drive, screencast.com etc. I use it because that is what I used when I had windows but there are more apps like screen flow, ishowu HD, OBS and more.

I think most Apple users should be able to capture the Screen recording using Quicktime Player - though it has been getting a bit quirky lately. Starting the recording is usually easy - but stopping it less so, as the controls may disappear depending on the OS and configuration.  This may require some panic action, and then the captured sequence can be edited afterwards.

It is possible to edit in Quicktime Player, but it's not usually that helpful or so easy. iMovie might work but Final Cut Pro X should definitely work.

It is possible to make animated GIFs using Final Cut Pro X and Compressor - see this for a good demonstration

Also see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n085BoHd0ys

Another way is to use Blender and GIMP - see this page for an explanation - https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Creating_animated_GIFs_using_Blender_and_Gimp

I'm not sure if I can do these using Adobe Premiere and/or Adobe Photoshop Elements. I suspect it may be possible, but somewhat tricky and a bit of a faff.

Sometimes the Apple video formats don't work with some video editors, so I often fix that with Handbrake - https://handbrake.fr

I've not tried the cockos - https://www.cockos.com/licecap/ tool mentioned further upstream, but will add it to my collection.

Thanks for all the replies about animated GIFs so far. We shouldn't hijack the thread though.