schmuttah

No camera data when opening RAW

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to photo editing in general and Affinity photo in particular.
However, I have used affinity photo since the last release and now I am using the 1.6.0.89 build.
I like it a lot, but I have experienced one bug so far. It is a little annoying bug. I have startet to take pictures in RAW, as I have a Nikon camera the file format is .NEF.
When I load the RAW image in Affinity photo I do not get any camera data. It just says "no camera data" at the top. I am missing my used optics settings etc.
If I check the properties of the files in Windows, I see all the information that I want to be shown in Affinity. If I open the files in Nikons program Capture NX-D, I can also see the information.
At first I thought there were some kind of problem with the .NEF files so I opened the files in Capture NX-D, exported them to .Tiff files and then opened them in Affinity, but I still couldn't see the camera data.
So there seems to be a problem with camera data information for RAW files in general for Affinity photo.
Does anybody else have the same problem as me ?
Is this something you can adress in the next release ?

Other than this bug I am very happy with my purchase so far and I want to say thanks to Serif for a good photo editing software ! :)

Hello,

The only weird character in my username is a "_" but I believe that one is an ASCII  character as well ?
I'll wait for 1.6.1 and see if it fixes my problems.

thanks

Thanks for the files. I've both loaded them in Photo 1.6.0.89 and the EXIF info is displaying correctly. It sounds like you could have might have an antivirus program might be blocking exifitool.exe from running.

To retrieve EXIF data from an application a small program called exiftool.exe which is temporarily placed in %temp%. We've had issues where antivirus programs are flagging this as malicious and stop if from running. 

try changing the temp and tmp environment variables to be a path which only uses English ascii characters e.g. c:\temp

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

I have updated to 1.6.1.93 and I still have the problem.

Tried to exclude exifitool.exe in my antivirus as well, there were 3 copies of the program, two in different temp-folders and one in the affinity folder. I excluded them all in the antivirus program but still can't see the camera info.

Is it really important to only use english ASCII-type letters ?

As I do not use an english version of Windows, my Temp-folder is located in subfolders where there are some "ä" and "_". While both of them are ASCII-type, they are not english.

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

With 1.6.1.93 there is no longer a restriction on non-ASCII characters in usernames. Exiftool should now run from the %PROGRAMDATA% folder.

Hmmm....I have no exiftool.exe in my programdata folder. Is it possible to copy/paste it from one of the other folders I have it in, to the correct path in the programdata folder ?

Just to clarify, when I open up .JPG which had been developed in the camera I get information about what kind of camera and what kind of objective I took the photograph with. But not my settings on the camera.

When I open up .NEF I get no information what so ever.

On 11/21/2017 at 2:08 PM, Vladislav said:

it was already done before. My %temp% variable is c:\WinTEMP

What about %TMP%? You would need to change that too (in 1.6.0)

ExifTool in 1.6.1 should work regardless of any non-ANSI characters in your user name or TEMP/TMP path. However, it may still fail if you have installed Photo to a non-ANSI path.