Anastasia_d

Software freezes when I try to edit text

Hello,
I recently downloaded the trial versions of Affinity Photo and Design. I really love your apps but I've noticed a problem. In both apps when I try to edit text, they freeze for a while. Sometimes they even crush and close. Also when I type letters appear really slow.
I work on Windows 7 64bit.
Thank you in advance

Hello Chris,
This happened when I tried to edit Arial. I selected the word and when I tried to change the font the app froze. Then I saw that this happens with every font I use. My Windows and Affinity are both in English.

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem.

When I used Affinity designer 1.5.3.69 I didn't have this problem, but after update to 1.6.0.89 every time I need to edit text (I mean not editing itself, but choosing a Font) Affinity Designer freezes for a few seconds (sometimes up to 20 sec :/). No matter what font I use.

Now I've just updated to 1.6.1.93 and still have the same problem with the text. Also, along with that there is a 2-5 sec delay when I choose some of the tools (Node tool, Corner Tool, Pen Tool, Pencil Tool and Vector Brush tool).

Want to emphasize that I didn't have these problems when I was using the older version (1.5.3.69). Hope to find a solution soon.
*info about my PC is attached (maybe it could help somehow).

system.txt

Edited by Staszinho
Forgot to mention that the problem is in choosing Font menu, not editing the text object itself

I have exactly the same problem. Both versions of 1.6 so far create the same "lag" when operating the user interface. I initially identified this issue when trying to access the font menu. When opening the dropdown font selector, both, designer and photo, are stuck for 2-3 seconds before opening the list and when scrolling through the list of fonts it lags extremely, resulting in being able to just slowly scroll font by font. Just as Staszino described, this lag does also appear at other tools but always restricted to GUI operations and not the graphical editing itself.

I already cleared my font repository completely from non-native Windows fonts, dead links in the registry and so on.

As stated above, in 1.5.3 everything works flawlessly. I also attached a system report for hardware details.

DxDiag.txt

Thanks for feeding in everyone.

My suspicion of it being a non-native Windows font is out the window if Arial was causing you trouble. My second suggestion of temporarily moving out all the non-native Windows fonts sounds like a waste of time if @hybit has done that already. As you're aware, the entire font browser was redone so something obviously has gone wrong here.

We've also got an issue where some fonts simply aren't showing up anymore. I'll update that bug report with this thread to see if it is all related. Sorry about this... 

Can you all try using the font combo on the Edit Text Styles Panel? This is still using the old legacy style so I'd be interested to see if you're getting the issue here. 

Just go to Text > Show Text Styles then just double click the bottom left icon (Create Paragraph Style) and then you'll see 'Font' under 'Character' on the left where you can engage with the combo box. 

The font combo on the Edit Text Styles Panel works very well. No lags at all. The dropdown font selector there also works perfectly. No freezes or any lags.

Thank you. Will be able to use this way of selecting/setting my fonts for now.

Hello again,
I also had removed the non-native Windows fonts but the problem insisted. Unfortunately I've uninstalled the trial version and I can't remember if I tried to use the font combo on the Edit Text Styles Panel. Thank you for your response anyway!   

Some additional observation, although I am not 100% sure these issues are related: When switching to Pencil, Vector Brush or Pen Tool in AD, there is some heavy delay before loading the toolbar. Something between 1 and 3 seconds. When operating the toolbar I found no lag. Also, the tools themselves work flawlessly.

A second observation which might be even more unrelated but concerns basically the same thing, the GUI: On version 1.5 I was absolutely unable to use the history tab to quickly move back and forth in action history. Now this feature is fully, so to say, "lag-less". In 1.5 it was acting very similar to what the font drowpdown menu is doing now. When opening it took a few seconds to actually switch to the tab and both scrolling the history list and switching to a specific point in history were very slow. Maybe you can figure out some correlation there?

Keep it up, you fellas are doing great work.