You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo RAW white balance issue - macos

Affinity RAW white balance issue (wrong colors)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the closest answer possible:

• I don't have RAW white balance issues
    • I do have RAW white balance issues
    • I do have, but only using Canon RAW

Hello everyone and thank you for your answers in advance.

I have a huge issue with Affinity for mac:

Using a Canon 1Dx mark ii camera, i capture RAW photos for the best quality, but for some reason Affinity doesn't read the white balance correctly. 

I usually play with a white balance to tune a nice look when possible, but this time it was a no go, because the product i photographed looks blue instead of purple!

Please see attached 3 files: The original RAW, a JPG file exported via Apple Photo app (it easily detected and exported the correct white balance - Purple) and a screen shot of how it looks via Affinity Photo (Blue).

Is there anything i'm missing or should i just look for a different software for pro work? 

Affinity Color.png

Correct color.jpg

Original File.CR2

Owenr, thank you for a quick answer.

I found this option in Affinity Photo, but for some reason couldn't find it in Affinity Designer (still blue). 

I better change to Apple raw everywhere until one day Affinity engine will support Pro Canon cameras.

Got it.

It is what it is..

Your Affinity Photo solution works for me, but now i have 2 more questions:

1. Does it matter if i'll work using Apple engine vs Affinity engine? Would i get speed penalty or rendering quality differences?

2. Where can i find a list of all Affinity supported cameras?

Thank you.

1. Apples engine is more frequently updated, especially here for new cam models. Speed depends also on the used vendor RAW format, thus you have to check and compare for your individual Canon. There might be slightly quality differences due to the engines default used settings etc.

2. Take a look here for both engines supported cameras (see also the Apple related links there).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

If the cam is supported, it's possible that the Affinity RAW engine interprets the WB data settings (Canon 1D X-M2 Exif data) slightly differently here. When you use a gray/white card for series shots, you can fine tune afterwards to the right WB and colors via AP processing and save it as a preset for certain other RAWs of that same lighting series.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 8 months later...

Need help asap...

Just got my new macbook pro 15" 2018 with i9 cpu and once installed Affinity Photo, the same issue is back again.

But, this time i can not find the "Engine" option, so all the colors of raw files are off again.

Did the option location changed or what should i do?

Thanx a lot in advance.

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 10.31.53 AM.png

5 minutes ago, iTosaf said:

i can not find the "Engine" option

Click on the Assistant Manager icon image.png.7e3fef6d057875f3c1f54547436b906b.png in the toolbar, then in the bottom left of the Assistant Manager window choose ‘Develop Assistant’ and change the Raw Engine to ‘Apple’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)