Brick

Option to disable tool input with touch on Windows?

Hello! New user here. I've combed the internet and the preferences and I can't seem to find anything that stops me from drawing lines all over my document with my fingers! I saw something about a "Touch for Gestures Only" option in the tools pane, but I dont see it on mine. 

Using Win10 on a Surfacebook with the latest version of Affinity Photo. 

Thanks!

Edit: I am aware of the "Disable touch input when pen is in use" Windows option, but that's not stopping me from making marks when I go to zoom and pan with fingers!

Hello, don't mean to be a pest, but is there perhaps another support option to get an answer on this? I'm a bit eager to get in and get drawing but the random marks all over is driving me crazy! 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Brick said:

but is there perhaps another support option to get an answer on this?

Hello Brick,

wellcome to the forum.

I have no answer to your original question but as you are asking about another support option I want to point you to the Questions section in this forum or the Feature Requests, Suggestions and Feedback area. This here is a section related to bugs and perhaps this is an explanation that noone of the staff has noticed your question.

Another explanation might be that the forums have been very busy recently and the staff are working through the new posts at the start of the week.

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.2.464)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.2.464)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.2.458)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

If you're getting lines on the canvas when you touch the screen with your fingers, you must have a painting or drawing tool (e.g. the Paint Brush Toll or the Pixel Tool) currently active. Switch to the Move Tool or the View Tool if you want to zoom or pan.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you're getting lines on the canvas when you touch the screen with your fingers, you must have a painting or drawing tool (e.g. the Paint Brush Toll or the Pixel Tool) currently active. Switch to the Move Tool or the View Tool if you want to zoom or pan.

Right but when I want to draw a line with my stylus and the brush tool is selected, my pinky may hit the screen first and make a mark. It looks like this feature is available in the iPad version (only tools can provide input), but I just can't seem to find it on the Windows version. 

Thanks for your reply Dominik, I didn't realize I was posting in the bug forum!

25 minutes ago, Brick said:

Right but when I want to draw a line with my stylus and the brush tool is selected, my pinky may hit the screen first and make a mark. It looks like this feature is available in the iPad version (only tools can provide input), but I just can't seem to find it on the Windows version. 

I see what you mean! I get the same behaviour on my Windows laptop with its touch-enabled screen, and there doesn't seem to be an option to disable it. My guess is that Windows simply doesn't make it possible for software to distinguish between a finger and a capacitive stylus.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

We know the difference between touch and pen input, but we rely on Windows to provide palm rejection for us. Accidental touches will still generate points though. Perhaps we could provide an option to disable touch input for tools, but we have no options on the iPad version either. This would be a feature suggestion.

Thanks for the clarification, Mark. :)

Alfred online2long.gif

It is not true actually, that windows can not distinguish touch from pen. Lots of other software separates touch and input with ease (illustrator, photoshop, mischief ... etc) So I do not understand why developers can't make such important feature

The problem is not just in palm rejection. Even if windows does it, you can touch the screen at any time while pen is not in contact and it brings up a new unwanted stroke/something.

8 minutes ago, keerah said:

It is not true actually, that windows can not distinguish touch from pen. 

Thank you for your input, but Mark has already made this clear:

On 27/11/2017 at 8:49 PM, Mark Ingram said:

We know the difference between touch and pen input, but we rely on Windows to provide palm rejection for us. Accidental touches will still generate points though.

Alfred online2long.gif

Thanks @alfred for the reply

There's also another side of this. Touch adds more functionality by performing operations of for example Move/select tool while you're actually using any other mode, more convenient, isn't it?

I don’t disagree that there are many things which could be made more convenient, but it’s a very young app.

Alfred online2long.gif

I recall reading Surface has issues with palm rejection with other softwares...(the unwanted tiny dots)...it was one of the cons listed by an user comparing it to iPad Pro, from a video I watched recently....sadly can't find it now...

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I moved it over to the feature request thread. 

Hopefully it gets some traction. For those that use this program for drawing/painting its a HUGE feature.