You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You have constraints on the Et group…

It is set not to resize as parent container resizes.

Remove this constraint, and the stroke thickness changes proportionally as expected.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

>> Would it be a good feature to have some kind of warning?

I don't think so, as there are cases where you would want to scale stroke / fx with an object, and not scale the object itself when the parent is resized.

For example: Resizing a logo, I want the line weights to scale, but when I resize the parent letterhead (for a new size of paper) I don't want the logo to resize at all.

I guess the clue is that the layer panel does indicate that this is a constrained group - so it is always worth checking what those constraints are, if you are seeing odd behaviour.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

33 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

I guess the clue is that the layer panel does indicate that this is a constrained group - so it is always worth checking what those constraints are, if you are seeing odd behaviour.

Either my eyes are too old to see it or I have misunderstood what you meant (or both), but I do not see any indication that constraints have been applied to a layer on the Layers panel.

What kind of indicator should I be looking for?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5a10465ce0d68_AffinityConstraintsGroup.png.8cf59665833a466df1b1620a91256468.png

The parent group has the label Constraints Group - That's what I spotted. How or when that appears, I don't know!

Going to play around to see if I can learn anything.

OK… so if I group two objects, and then add constraints to one of them, then the label changes from Group to Constraints Group.

But, if I nest one object inside another, and constrain the child, then the label of the parent does not change.

Seems inconsistent to me.

Perhaps it would be a useful feature to highlight objects in the Layer Panel that have constraints applied? Maybe something like the way in which Symbols are given the orange solid / dashed border on the left side.

1 minute ago, Aammppaa said:

But, if I nest one object inside another, and constrain the child, then the label of the parent does not change.

There is that, plus that parent group objects with long names will push the (Constraints Group) label out of the visible area of the Layers panel, & that it does not seem to apply any special layer name to some container types (like the rectangle shown in the video tutorial).

I'm not sure if a Symbol-like indicator would be better, or maybe yet another badge for the thumbnail might be, but as it is now it seems both inconsistent & iffy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

I facing the same problem as Vince42 about some element's "line thickness" didn't scale up together with to the entire group.

After watching this discussion, I am able to locate the check box "Scale with object" in the Stroke panel. It solves my problem. Thanks!

I would like to know how to keep the "fx effect" scale up and down accordingly? Now I need to adjust fx e.g. outer shadow or inner shadow after scale action.

Which studio panel can help to keeping the constraints?

52 minutes ago, Ecnavda said:

I would like to know how to keep the "fx effect" scale up and down accordingly?

Tick the box at the bottom of the Layers Effects window that says "Scale with Object."

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad that I were not the only one, who missed out the dependencies between "scale with" and "constraints". It would be really helpful, if there would be some hinting on conflicting settings, ie constraints that hinder scaling and vice versa. 

I am not using Affinity Designer on a daily basis, therefore I always need to read this post, whenever I run into a similar problem. ;)