Jakub Roguski

Affinity Photo Flood Select Tool issue

Hi Jakub,

Essentially this is the way the tool works (although the Windows temporarily not responding is an unfortunate side effect). When you click and drag the cursor it sets the tolerance for between pixels as to which should be selected. The problem is with such large images as the one you are using it has to do a lot of computing to work out which ones to be selected - it is unfortunately something you have to be a bit patient with when using high resolution images. You can select a low tolerance and then just up that to see if that is the results you desire.

26 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Jakub,

Essentially this is the way the tool works (although the Windows temporarily not responding is an unfortunate side effect). When you click and drag the cursor it sets the tolerance for between pixels as to which should be selected. The problem is with such large images as the one you are using it has to do a lot of computing to work out which ones to be selected - it is unfortunately something you have to be a bit patient with when using high resolution images. You can select a low tolerance and then just up that to see if that is the results you desire.

Hi Sean,

Please watch my video once again and put your attention to the second example - the picture with green background. Please note what are the selected area and the tolerance before the picture turns black and what they are after the picture is back. Just before the picture disappears the selection is very good and the tolerance is 2%, but when the picture is back, the tolerance is 31% and selected is not only green background (what I selected) but also some parts of the white / grey flower. I did not do anything in-between - mouse button was released and no action taken by me.

I have tried with smaller, jpg files - you are right regarding the "blackout": in case of smaller files it does not show or is significantly shorter, but I still see a two-step selection: initially exactly what I wanted to select and correct tolerance and then jump to higher tolerance and selection of additional parts of the image with color totally different than what I was dragging over.

1 hour ago, Jakub Roguski said:

initially exactly what I wanted to select and correct tolerance and then jump to higher tolerance and selection of additional parts of the image with color totally different than what I was dragging over

Try clicking without dragging. When you drag, the tolerance setting changes.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Try clicking without dragging. When you drag, the tolerance setting changes.

Yes, I know. But as long as I drag over green only, I don't expect other colors, like gray, to be selected. I have tried a few minutes ago another picture and dragging over green exclusively, with tolerance as low as 0%, it selected also yellow parts of the picture. And again - initially selection was OK and then jump to much higher tolerance and much broader selection.

I am having precisely this problem using the technique demonstrated in the excellent tutorial videos for using channels to select. The flood select tool first of all selects the requisite zone then the programme closes down once or twice and when it stabilises the total image has been selected. This is a much more clear cut kind of selection than attempted by Jakub where colour interpretation was involved. It is very frustrating and possibly an issue!

This is using the latest release version.

I also am having a problem with the program crashing when using the Flood Select tool.

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

In pursuit of photographic excellence.

I use Windows 10 and was having the same problems with the select tools. Affinity Photo slows down due to excessive memory usage. This can be reduced by Edit> Preferences>Undo Limit and reduce the number of saved undo items. I am a Photoshop user which only saves about 10, so I have altered it to only 10 saves and this has solved the problem. The default was set to over 1000 saves!