You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

There is one fabulously useful (and little known) keyboard shortcut in Photoshop to adjust brush size and hardness: you press Alt (on PCs), right-click your mouse, and drag the mouse left to right to increase/decrease brush size, and up and down to increase/decrease hardness.

I use it all the time.

This shortcut does not seem to exist in Photo 1.6, and I cannot seem to find a way to replicate it.

Any ideas how to implement it, or should we suggest it for a future version?

Thanks very much.

EDIT: this shortcut applies regardless of the tool you use, as long as it is brush-based, e.g. it works with the Dodge tool as well as with the Paintbrush.

10 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

On windows this is alt plus left and right mouse button

Not sure I understand you. With the Paintbrush, what you say does strange things but does not change brush size, and with the Dodge/Burn tool, it does strictly nothing.

4 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

works here, press alt plus left and right mouse button an drag left to right is brush size and up down is hardness

Works exactly like that for me too.

Press and hold down Alt

Press and hold down right button.

Press left button and drag

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi Dominique_R

Welcome to Affinity Forums :),

You must hold the ALT key + right mouse button then press the left mouse button (keep ALT + right mouse button pressed while you press the left mouse button) and drag horizontally to change the size or vertically to change the hardness.

3 minutes ago, Dominique_R said:

OK, OK, I get it now... It's press and hold right button AND PRESS LEFT BUTTON AS WELL... That's a lot of presses... Do you guys know how to change this complicated shortcut?

It is exactly what you described as the Photoshop shortcut in your first post ???

Once you press the left button and start to drag, you can release both the right button and the mouse key. You can keep adjusting the brush size till you release the left button.

Another shortcut to resize the brush is the [ ] keys, or you can hover the  mouse pointer over the brush size dialog box and turn the mouse wheel.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

3 minutes ago, toltec said:

It is exactly what you described as the Photoshop shortcut in your first post ???

Once you press the left button and start to drag, you can release both the right button and the mouse key. You can keep adjusting the brush size till you release the left button.

Another shortcut to resize the brush is the [ ] keys, or you can hover the  mouse pointer over the brush size dialog box and turn the mouse wheel.

No, in Photoshop the shortcut is:

. press and hold Alt,

. then press the right-click button (and only that one, NOT the left-click one),

. then drag

It's one less press, in other words. And if I could customize the shortcut in Affinity, it would be easier... If I have to adapt because there is no choice, I will adapt.

Hi there,

I'm not able to use the keys [ ] to adjust the brush size: I'm working on mac. However, the alt; cmd mouse movement works.

Can someone help me please, what I'm doing wrong? I just hear the 'ring' when I'm pressing alt + 5 or 6

Thanks,

Boris

On 11/17/2017 at 6:20 PM, MEB said:

Hi Dominique_R

Welcome to Affinity Forums :),

You must hold the ALT key + right mouse button then press the left mouse button (keep ALT + right mouse button pressed while you press the left mouse button) and drag horizontally to change the size or vertically to change the hardness.

What about Mac version? alt + RMB + LMB is not working that way. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I find something relatable but AP(me on UWP 1.6.2.97 version) doesn't provide for now.

1. When equipped with pen brush tool, in Photoshop right button click on the white drawing board you get a brush panel next to your pen tip then you can easily change the brush. What if popping out user-preferred tool presets(I saw thread it's being planned, very excited) around the pen tip? That would be more helpful!

2. One more Shift to the brush resize shortcut(Shift + Alt + right button click + cursor move), color adjustment to foreground color right below your pen tip(known as HUD color picker) is possible.

All in all, a quick way to switch often used tools or color without wandering into the column is super helpful for digital painter, I hope AP be capable of such things in future update.