You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.1.93

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Affinity Designer was purchased.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed unable to adjust custom wet edges spline 
  • Fixed layer drag indicator in wrong position when moving layer below nested stack 
  • Fixed Fill and Stroke swatch on context toolbar not matching applied colour in CMYK 
  • Fixed Shape Fill cannot be changed easily if set to None before drawing 
  • Fixed PDF export rasterising vector objects in odd cases

Seems like that. But unfortunately I tried it again and couldn't reproduce it. :(

Edit: I COULD indeed reproduce it. It happens when there are at least 4 files open (in my case SVGs). With the first 3 files everything is ok when I do what I did in the GIF, but on the fourth, CPU load goes high. As soon as I switch to another file CPU load gets back to normal. Switching back to the fourth file doesn't cause CPU to go high again.

Hope that helps.

50 minutes ago, Wiredframe said:

Seems like that. But unfortunately I tried it again and couldn't reproduce it. :(

Edit: I COULD indeed reproduce it. It happens when there are at least 4 files open (in my case SVGs). With the first 3 files everything is ok when I do what I did in the GIF, but on the fourth, CPU load goes high. As soon as I switch to another file CPU load gets back to normal. Switching back to the fourth file doesn't cause CPU to go high again.

Hope that helps.

Can you attach all 4 files here so we can try it?

• Staff
2 hours ago, Wiredframe said:

I tried random files two times. It's not related to the files itself I guess.

Not getting this myself unfortunately, however I've noticed in your GIF that your object frame is flickering a lot - almost as if you keep tapping spacebar to pan the document. Do you have any additional mouse/keyboard or tablet software running that could be interfering at all? Are you using a mouse or tablet when moving?

I've had similar case with 5 open image files (described here:

Maybe it's connected to hardware as well? I have nothing connected, using Thinkpad T470s.

I have bit locker encryption turned on and having file history turned on. I have no idea if those are related. I'm always working on local memory.

No one has actually said it it is affinity that is exhausting resources or if it happening as they switch files.  Verify it is actually Affinity as the lates runtime broker has some issues that will slow your system to a crawl and it could happen as you load a file.

Read more here

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/06/what-is-runtime-broker-and-why-it-is-causing-high-cpu-load/

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

No one has actually said it it is affinity that is exhausting resources or if it happening as they switch files.  Verify it is actually Affinity as the lates runtime broker has some issues that will slow your system to a crawl and it could happen as you load a file.

Read more here

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/06/what-is-runtime-broker-and-why-it-is-causing-high-cpu-load/

It is, @Wiredframe has provided a video showing high usage in Affinity applications.

Just now, Mark Ingram said:

It is, @Wiredframe has provided a video showing high usage in Affinity applications.

Ok ... I just posted that as it is a new issue in windows 10 1709 build. Checking out the runtime broker is a troubleshooting step. Once you have turned off the WIndows garbage you should not have to do it again although updates will often turn on things you had turned off

2017-11-17_12-16-03.png

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

I've also had some strange behaviour when opening SVGs and simply selecting part of the contents of one of them. The background CPU usage gets progressively worse with each additional SVG that is open in the same AD instance.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch AD
  2. Drag the attached SVGs onto AD UI to open them.
  3. Select any object in one of the SVG documents (may need to switch active document before selecting to reproduce).

CPU usage goes up to 70+ % on my machine (when ShareX isn't also hogging the CPU ;)) and stays there until I close them. Each document closed reduces the CPU usage significantly.

See video demo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Uq0olc0vebqLzsQ80Q0uPQsgiW6srkD/view

Also reproduced in 1.6.0.89, but not in 1.5.3.69 on the following setups:

Windows 10 Home, version 1709, build 16299.64.

Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, build 16299.15.

SVG files.zip

Affinity Designer SVG CPU bug.mp4

Edited by mattb5906
additional information

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm creating new threads for separate issues instead of posting to this one, as you guys repeatedly request us to do. That's fine with me, but often these separate threads don't get any attention from the devs or no response at all. Should I go back to posting to the "Affinity Designer Customer Beta" threads instead?