You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to stop stroke, where subtracted

Hello!

I'm quite new to Affinity Designer and when I was trying to create something, and stumbled across this which I didn't understand. I've recreated it simply to show you.

When I tried to subtract two objects (1), by selecting them both (2) and clicking the subtract button, it ended up like (3). I now understand why it does this, but was wondering if there is a way to make it look more like (4).

I made (4) badly to show you what it might look like, but don't know how I would do it properlly, I guess is what I mean. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

affinity forum subtract stroke.png

You would need to break the circle at the top and left nodes (convert it to curves first) and delete a section of the line so you have a line, rather than a circle.

broken.png.e36a77e669fb0509ae45fd29e90160ee.png

Above, I have "broken" the circle to make the top left segment separate, ready to delete.

Alternatively, you could just mask the top left segment with the Erase brush tool in the Pixel Persona. It is not destructive, it just hides the bit you don't want.

See file below.

semi.afdesign

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.