You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert irregular selection to curves

Hi, I'm mostly working with flat single color icons and images.

I want to be able to convert these images to curves so I have more ability to manipulate them in Affinity Designer.

What I'm doing is opening the the image as a new file in AD. Going to Pixel persona, Select > Select Sampled Color > Invert Pixel Selection.

At this point the Icon is completely selected. All of the curves and outlines are selected exactly as I need them to be. How can I convert this from Pixel to Curve form?

Atm if I want to be able to change the color I either have to open in another document and do the process over then fill with a color or actually trace it out with the pen tool. 

Both are incredibly time consuming for such a simple task. 

Any suggestions?

Hi @Llaver & welcome to the forums. :)

The feature you are asking about is sometimes called "autotrace." If you use the search box at the top of the page to search the forums on that word, you will get several results (42 when I just tried it) that among other things suggest alternatives for this feature missing from AD like tools that use the Potrace backend for this or VectorMagic.

The Affinity developers have said they may add this feature to Affinity Designer in the future, but only if they can implement it in a way that produces very high quality results. They have not elaborated on what they mean by that other than to say they have some ideas about how to do it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Llaver said:

Hi, I'm mostly working with flat single color icons and images.

Atm if I want to be able to change the color I either have to open in another document and do the process over then fill with a color or actually trace it out with the pen tool. 

If all you want to do is change the colour, depending on the image, you can do that quite easily.

e.g. A black and white bitmap.

scales.jpg.03bf3ceb23899dd6b8d2afac9ff8ddc5.jpg

Colour 1

scred.jpg.dba9f05f38b0df1553d2b8a0e9eb7910.jpg

colour 2

scblue.jpg.af425d2c40a65a8b81cf2a28f2ffadff.jpg

Would that help?

If so, post an example or two of the sort of things you need to change.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.