jedharris

Opening a large photoshop TIF, most layers are flattened

I have a TIF with many layers, with two groups and a few ungrouped layers.  One group is text layers, the other group is just normal pixel layers.  All the ungrouped layers are just normal pixel layers.  The text layers are opened (and converted to pixels).  However all the other layers are flattened into one that becomes the bottom layer. 

I have not experimented with going back to Photoshop to move, ungroup or eliminate layers, I though I'd ask for feedback here first. 

I can send you the TIF if you want, nothing all that sensitive. 

@jedharris

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Have you read this pinned FAQ thread on layered PNGs and Layered TIFF files?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22756-faqs-a-statement-about-fireworks-layered-png-and-layered-tiff-files/

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Thanks.  I had not read it but just did.  It doesn't say what layers can and cannot be imported.  In my case text layers were imported as layers, but pixel layers did not retain their layer identity.  Is this generally true or is it due to something about the specific layer organization of my file?  More generally, what layer information from Photoshop will be imported, and what will not? 

I just bought Affinity Photo for Mac and opened the same file.  All the layers appear to be imported correctly as separate layers.  So I'm guessing that this is indeed a bug in Affinity Photo for iPad. 

Maybe I can work around it by saving this file from Affinity Photo Mac, and the iPad will then see the layers correctly.  Will try that. 

But the bug should still be fixed. 

3 minutes ago, jedharris said:

.afphoto file of the same content opens with all layers intact on iPad.  So I guess the problem is important from Photoshop on the iPad. 

Sounds a lot like it, I assumed they would act the same. I'm not in the office till next week but I expect another member of the QA team will pick this up. They will probably also request the file, unless you care to attach it as you suggested.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Hi Jedharris,

Thanks for the file. There is an option in preferences to import PSD text as editable text and not a raster layer. Enabling this will allow you to have editable text. As for the other layers I've copied your file to our iCloud drive and selected 'Import from iCloud' and the tiff file imported with layers that matches the tiff in Photoshop.

Whereabouts are you opening your TIFF file from when using the iPad?

If you connect your iPad up to your Mac you can start QuickTime and select File > New Movie Recording. From the dropdown arrow next to the record button you can select your iPad as the source. Once that is done use File > Export to output your video.

Altenatively if you are using iOS 11 you can do this directly in the OS:

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/record-iphone-ipad-screen-ios-11/