You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing EXIF data/Adding Copyright

• Staff

Hi DavidD,

Welcome to the forums :)

No, it's not possible to edit the EXIF metadata in Affinity Photo except the Description field I'm afraid.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

2 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi DavidD,

Welcome to the forums :)

No, it's not possible to edit the EXIF metadata in Affinity Photo except the Description field I'm afraid.

Thanks

Callum

That's a shame, it is a very important feature for all photographers...

22 minutes ago, DavidD said:

Thanks, but I am not too keen on using online versions like this, I always forget where they are...

Why not create a shortcut to it, or keep a bookmark in your browser?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, mikerofoto said:

you can always use this tool by Phil Harvey

https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

DavidD: exiftool is best tool for EXIF manipulation (therefore it is also used in the Affinity Photo :-).

But I recommend using ExifToolGUI (http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/exiftoolgui516.zip) to make it much easier to use. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Well since AP can't, just use a capable third party tool. - There are many tools (image viewers and converters etc.) which can deal with this and also allow to batch process such tasks. Good tools here in this regard are mostly based on ExifTool or Exiv2, meaning they do (re)use those libraries internally or work as a frontend GUI to these.

If you don't want to work from a command shell with the above mentioned Exif tools, you can use IrfanView on Windows and XnViewMP under Windows/Mac here. The later has the advantage to be available for all systems (Win/Mac/Linux).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 5 years later...

Editing metadata is so easy to in Adobe Bridge. Especially in tandem with Photoshop. When I moved to Affinity Photo, the lack of a Digital Asset Manager tool became obvious. After much searching and reading various forums, I started using Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 tool (DPP4). I created a work around to edit Matadata/Copyright info as follows:

I bring up my camera raw images in DPP4 to rename and copy to my HD from the SD card.

Next open the camera raw files in Adobe Bridge to edit the Metadata/copyright info.

Then open the raw image(s) in Affinity Photo (AP) for processing and editing.

I'm still working on my workflow in these tools so I hope for some fine tuning of the process. This was so much easier in the Bridge/Photoshop apps. It only points out the real need for an AP DAM product. For many years now AP users have been begging for a DAM product. They've voiced their opinion with money in-hand, to no avail. Instead AP put their resources into AP 2.0. Much to the vast disappointment of their long time customers. I'll now step down from my "soap box". Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, AP V 1.10.5

C
Callum:

Please, Please, Please advise the Execs at Serif/Affinity to work on a Digital Asset Management product. That is the solution to this OP. Your customers have been holding out their money for 6 or 8 years waiting for it. AP V2.0 was such a disappointment over the long awaited DAM product. 

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, AP V 1.10.5