You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, 

I've come across a problem with pdf export. I've made document with 2 photos and und text fields and when I exported the pdf and sent it to a colleague the text was in unreadable letters. I attach the Affinity file and the pdf that you can see. What could be the reason? Did I do something wrong? 

Best wishes, 

Christian 

PastedGraphic-1.png

Plakat_EDIT_2017.afphoto

• Staff

Hi Christian Kogler,

What application is your colleague using to view the PDF? If I export your file to PDF then open it in Preview on Mac it shows fine.

Thanks

Callum

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 12.15.17.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

It may be down to either how the font is encoded (is this a Type 1 PostScript font?) or how APhoto is encoding it. The two text runs are not rendering in the proper mode in the Plakat EDIT 2017.pdf file (I didn't look at the others).

Try clicking on the More button and convert the text to curves and see if you get the presentation at least correct.

Mike

Hi, yes, it must be a font encoding problem. I've tried it now with a different font and then it works perfectly. But I've used that font often in other applications, because it't the font our university uses and we are actually forced to use it on all print stuff. Where is the "more" button you're mentioning? I've got a German version, but I cannot find anything like that. 

The More button should be the left-most button on the PDF export dialog.

That is an old font in all likelihood. And if it is a Type 1 PostScript that adds another layer of potential issues because some altered Type 1s and even early TTF versions (especially if they were converted from the Type 1 versions) can have funky encoding. It may be an APhoto issue, but Serif would need the font to test and figure it out.

Mike

Thank you - was "blind" obviously or looking somewhere else (not in the export window)! Sorry! But "text as curves" doesn't change anything. I try to send the font. I think, it's the one attached. But I have to check with the colleague from the graphics department tomorrow. Thank you for all the attention! That's very kind of you! :) 

Futura.ttc

There's something distinctly odd about that font file! I've attached a screenshot of the 'Details' tab of the Properties dialog on my Windows 10 system.

Affinity_topic-50299_Futura-ttc.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Ah, a truetype collection font. I dunno if Affinity products can deal with them in a pdf.

If you can obtain the individual fonts that make up that TT Collection, you would be able to leave the text as live text.

Another possible thing to try would be converting to curves inside 5he application and save as a new filename.

Failing that, do they rasterize properly? 

Regardless, the graphic person wasn't using APhoto, was he?

At least this TTC is having issues with your chosen application. One or the other has to change. 

The best thing would be for the school to purchase new versions as the languages have been expanded, glyphs redrawn and optimized, OT Features added and all that. But Serif needs to look at why this TTC isn't behaving anyway.

1 minute ago, Christian Kogler said:

No - he's working with Adobe CC. 

:D

Likely other applications will work, too.

I believe Windows still ships with TTC files. While I have not read widely here on the forum, I cannot recall anyone bringing up TTCs not working. So like I wrote, Serif needs to look at this.

I would encourage you to make a new post in the Bug section for your OS, provide the APhoto file, the bad PDF and the font. It will be more assured of being picked up as a bug.

Mike